{12}

( EMERY )

( EMERY )

HOGWARTS
NOVEMBER, 2015

    Emery couldn't look McGonagall in the eye. She felt an emptiness inside of her, a sort of blank slate. Her words were slowly catching up to her. They were echoing back inside her head as McGonagall talked. "Ms. Grey, do you realize what you have done?" Emery couldn't force herself to answer, she never wanted to say anything again. She wanted to cut out her tongue and hide from everyone. "Look at me, look at me Ms. Grey." Emery slowly lifted her gaze until she looked into McGonagall's eyes. Anger. Pity. Sadness. They all swirled in her eyes and Emery hated it.

She wished she could take it all back. Just suck the words back into her mouth and make everything that just happened disappear. "I know you feel guilty. That is one of the reasons Professor Flitwick is not here as you are in his house. I wanted to deal with you myself. Is it true you can see dead people?"

"Yes Professor. Not all dead people, but I can hear most of them. I... it just comes naturally to me. They are more spirits than they are ghosts."

Speaking of spirits, there was one talking to her right now. "You fucked up, you fucked up big time Emery. What the hell were you thinking! I can't believe you just did that! Are you insane! Why did you do that Em? Why?" By the end of it, Nathan sounded close to crying making tears well up in Emery's eyes as well.

"I'm so sorry. I... everything just became too much. I'm so sorry." By that point tears were flowing down her cheeks no matter how hard she tried to keep them from falling. She hated crying in front of McGonagall. She hated looking like that girl who's crying to get out of trouble because she's not. Emery really did try to pull herself together, she really did. "What's my punishment? Please give me a punishment. I swear, I'm not crying to get out of one, I'm sorry. Please, just give me detention or something please."

McGonagall looked taken aback for a moment before pulling herself together. "Okay Ms. Grey, detention in here for a week at six p.m. and you must apologize in the Great Hall to everyone." Emery breathed out a sigh along with a 'thank you' and starts to make her way out of the room before McGonagall called back to her. "Ms. Grey, have a biscuit."

    Emery tried to stay away from everyone. She couldn't even bring herself to look Olivia in the eye. She didn't even go into the Great Hall for breakfast, she stayed up in the astronomy tower. "I messed up big time, I don't know what to do." Nathan sits next to her, throwing an arm over her shoulder and bringing her closer to him.

    "This isn't your fault. People can only take so much, so much pain, so many secrets, you can't just be forced to keep all that inside of you. It's not your fault. This is not your fault. You never asked for this, you never wanted to know all of this, it is not your fault." Emery doesn't say anything. She doesn't cry, she doesn't nod, she just sits emotionless. "This will not be the thing that tears the school apart, trust me."

    Emery doesn't even realize when someone else enters the room. She didn't hear anything besides the white static in her own mind. She didn't react when the blue hair boy sat next to her. Nathan lifted her up till she was sitting straight, pressed a kiss to the top of her head, then left. She didn't want to look over to Teddy, didn't want to see whatever emotion that stood out on his face. She didn't want to hear his voice, she just wanted to sit there.

    Unfortunately, it seemed that Teddy didn't feel the same. "Is everything you said true?"

    Emery chews the inside of her lip, "Every word."

    "Have.... Have you ever talked to my parents?" Emery nods. "So, you can see ghosts that aren't really there?"

    "I can see their spirits."

    "Can you tell them I love them?"

    "They know, and they love you too." Emery finally looks towards Teddy, seeing Remus and Tonks there too. "They are here." Emery nods their way and sees the shock on Teddy's face before trying to look at them. He couldn't see them, but he did look in their direction. "You can talk to them, they can hear you, I can tell you what they're saying."

    "Mum, dad, I miss you two so much. We all do. You'd be proud of Harry, of all of them. I... I love you." 

    Tonks smiles, her hair turning a bright blue teal. "We love you so much." Emery copies her words, saying them a second after she does. "We are so proud of you. You are so much like me, so much like both of us, such a little rebel. I told Remus, I told him you were going to be a Hufflepuff, and guess what, I was right."

    "I wish you were a little less like us, then maybe you wouldn't have had all those detentions when you were in your fifth year. We will always be here. All those times you looked up at the full moon and talked to us, we were there. We are always there, forever." Remus runs a hand through Teddy's hair. Teddy may not have been able to feel it, but Remus could. "I couldn't have asked for anything more."