Chapter 29 - Saved by another...?

The gates didn't move. Not even an inch, nor a millimeter. It just stood there, in plain sight, immobile and dead as ever. Even more dead then the flesh-hungry infected that were coming.

Once again, the sounds & voices of the zombies return. Now looking back at Matt, his expression was exactly the same as mines. His eyes locks on mines, filled with horror and confusion. What went wrong?

Matt curses, bending down to analyze the machine's operating systems. "Why isn't it closing?!"

I too, was let to panic. "Wh-what do we do now?!"

Matt grinds his teeth in frustration, fighting to remain calm. "Rima, we need to close the gates manually."

"C-close them?" I asked eyes wide. "With our own hands?"

"Yes," Matt replies in frustration. "We have no time. Hurry!"

And with that, we both Sprinted out, straight to a sprint, running over to where Remember is.

I eventually find Remember, still standing there in front of the wide open gates. However, instead of gazing back towards the hordes of the diseased now trampling over each other for us, his eyes were seemingly casted upon the top of the steel wall. An unease look was on his face, though still he has the calm and emotionless expression as usual (even in this case scenario).

"Remember!" I called out, interrupting his thoughts.

He turns to me without a sound, as I came to a stop.

"We need to close the gates." Matt breathed. "And fast!"

And without a reply, he carries out the plan.

My eyes looked above the steel walls too, then back at him. I felt concern grow within me. Was something bothering Remember?

I had to worry about that later though. Cause right now my main mission: To get the gates to close.

"Grab that left door and pull her to the middle!" Matt orders. Obediently, Remember runs to the left door, his arms clutched tightly at where the ring latch was and begins to slowly drag it towards the middle, to where Matt is.

Matt in the other hand, prepares to pull the left wing. But before doing so, he pulls out a pistol from his pocket and tosses it to me. "Catch!"

"W-wah!?" My fingers fumbled to catch the flying pistol. Once it is in both hands, I discovered it was the same pistol we found, back from the cabin.

"Use it to shoot any incoming biter!" Matt shouts, while already pulling the door towards the center of the road."

At this moment, my heart raced. Me?! "B-But I don't know how to use a gun!"

"Easy!" He grunts, though having a hard time explaining the simplicity. "Just point it, aim with both hands and fire!

I steady my breathing, before raising the rifle in my trembling hands. "L-Like this?"

He nodded. "Just make sure your thumbs are cupped around the grip and make sure to tilt it a bit downwards. The recoils pretty big, so you want to apply more force behind the handle."

I tighten my thumbs around the grip. Like the people from those action movies, I close one eye and use the other eye as the scope. I then aim towards the nearest ghoul, who was just a few meters or so away from us. It was a disfigured woman, slowly trudging towards us with strips of flesh peeling off her outstretched arms.

I take a final breath, pull and release the trigger. A stiff gasp escapes my throat as my whole upper body is pushed back with a 'Bang', missing terribly.