Chapter 28 - Goners

Another sound was a growl, which came from behind me. Turning my head, I see Remember staring at the direction of the groans as well. But his eyes seemed to glow red, with the excitement of battle. The urge to kill. He then takes a step forward.

"It's no use." We both heard Matt grunt. "There's too many of them. We should evacuate now, since we're not that far from the borders of Utah. It's just a few miles ahead of us!"

My heart seemed to jump with joy. Just a few miles left...

"Let's go!" Matt orders, and once again we were running, escaping the massive hordes of the diseased creatures which trail behind us.

"Are we getting closer?" I asked, as we ran through bushes and bushes of green. I definitely don't want to concentrate on too much running since that'll just exhaust me.

"Probably," Matt replies, "Since we're heading at the right direction. Sooner or later, we should see a huge border line gate ahead of us since we're nearing to the Utah state."

At that moment, I felt a small tear of disappointment rip open in me. Somewhat soon...

Suddenly out of nowhere, my foot bumps into something rough. And before I could stop, I came tumbling forward, scarping my knees and arms. OW!

"Rima!" Matt gaps, as he bends down quickly to help me up. "Are you okay?"

"Y-yes," I managed to say, despite the stinging and minor pain my wounds were making. I looked at my cuts and bruises. It didn't hurt that much. I'll live.

"We'll deal with that later." Matt continues, "But firstly...."

Leaving the sentence to trail off, I then gazed down to realize that I've tripped over something. But it wasn't a rock or any common large branch. It was a corpse.

I yelped with a jump. Both Matt and Remember saw it as well. A dead body found, in the middle of the forest. Matt then takes a step forward, and examines the corpse.

The way it wore the common leather jacket and torn jeans definitely meant that this was the rotten corpse of a motorcyclist. And its skull, clearly visible was smashed up against a rock causing both its flesh and blood to ooze out. Maggots and other insects feasted upon the body as well, which made it even more disgusting.

I clenched my stomach, trying to hold back the urge to puke. "I-Is he-"

"Fully dead, yes. And a motorist too." Matt finished, as he walks to the right. He then bends down behind some bushes, picking up something I had not seen before. It was a motorcycle helmet.

"A Stubborn one at that," He stated as well, lightly cleansing the helmet with his sleeves. "Guess he didn't watch where he was going huh?"

I nodded, and looked around. "So if he's a motorcyclist, then where's the-"

"There?" Remember interrupts, pointing a long bony finger towards another direction. Me and Matt both turn and then saw a shiny bike. The figure of a motorcycle!

Even with the infected chasing us behind, I couldn't help but smile in victory. I had a feeling that our lives just got a little easier.

"Sweet," Matt laughs, running up to the bike to check it out. "This just might help us."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

After a few minutes of adjusting and rechecking the engines, we were all set and ready to go.

Matt himself may not have a full drivers-license yet, but who'd give a damn now? Getting a driver's ticket was the last thing we could possibly worry about.