Chapter 21 - Goodbye Remember

We sprinted up the grey staircase, up to the point where we couldn't go any further. Once we'd reach the top. There was a ladder, supposedly leading up to the rooftop. And that's where we were exactly headed. I climb up first, Matt then following after. He closes the trap door, bolting it shut. Now, we finally have the chance to breathe.

"Dang," Matt pants, "That was close."

I could only nodded in reply.

Thats when a thought occurred. I then looked around, nervously."W-Where's Remember?"

A flash of rage crosses his eyes. "That son of a bitch..."

"Hey," I growled, "Don't call him that-"

"I told him to keep guard of the block of any horde," He huffed. "Heck, he can't even stop a lone zombie!"

"Unreliable piece of-"

Noticing the pissed look I had, he then stops. His mood completely changes.

"Umm..." Matt nervously speaks, scratching the back of his neck. "R-Rima, can I talk to you?"

"E-eh?" A loud thud comes from behind before I could answer. Matt glares behind me, and I didn't even need to turn around. It was obviously Remember having the same expression as Matt's. Uh oh, not again.....

Luckily, Matt said nothing to Remember, as Remember said nothing as well. Instead, Matt turns to me, saying, "Rima I'd like to talk to you." But then sharply states, "Alone."

"Y-yes." I stammered, standing upright. He ushers me to follow him, and I acceded. Glancing back, I noticed remember take a step forward, as if to follow us as well.

Matt wanted to talk to me alone though. I then shook my head sadly, making Remember growl aloud, but stop. I then looked at him hopeful. I'll talk to you after Remember. Promise.

A few minutes later, at an acceptable distance from Remember (And any other living dead that could be lurking out there) Matt begins. "Rima, I-I wanted to ask you a favor."

A favor?

"A favor?" I repeated, feeling nervous already. "Ok, sure."

Matt nods, but then looks away, before stating, "I want you to get rid of Remember."

At that moment, my throat becomes thick.

"G-Get rid of Remember?" I croaked. "You don't mean..."

"Kill him? No that's not what I'm specifically asking." He sighs, placing his hand on his forehead. "W-What I'm trying to say is, well..."

His voice trailed off, but I already knew now what he was asking me. He didn't want Remember with us.

"You don't want him to come along with us." I finished, barely.

Matt glances back at me sadly. "Yea."

No way.

"W-Why would I do that?" I asked, feeling anger bubble within me.

"Because...." He then looks down, his camouflage cap covering the test of his eyes. "He isn't one of us."

That did it. "So what?" I gasped, feeling words of my thoughts and feelings pour out of my mouth. "Just because he isn't human?! Remember may be a zombie, but he helped me lots of times before meeting you, and I helped him in return as well! He wouldn't hurt us, I'm sure of it, c-cause if he wanted to, then he would've done so already ! So why would you even think of asking me this?"

Realizing how I was already over-preached, I managed to squeeze in an apology. "I'm sorry."

"But I don't understand why. Maybe you look at him as all the other infected beings, but to me," I paused to catch my breath, as my hands came into fists as I lastly state, "Even the prey can befriend the predator."