Chapter 7 - Daniels Journal: Escape

After breakfast and lunch, I skidded back to my room, now lying in bed. The whole day, my mind was disconcerted with wonders, of what was in Daniels journal.

Though at last, I didn't need to wait any longer. On the side of the headframe sat Daniels journal, emotionless as ever. It hadn't move an inch since the last time I've touched it. Reaching out to pick it up, I found my fingers trembling, from the moment it makes contact with the hard leathery cover, turning it over with both hands as I examine it.

I can only stare intensly at the journal, feeling the same curiosity return. But, there was a drawback: should I even be reading someone else's privacy...?

And more importantly--what will happen after I've read Daniel's journal? Would anything change?

Though I didn't know why; somehow, I had a strange feeling of a premonition about to be triggered. From the second I flip over the first page.

"But then..." I found myself saying aloud, now biting my lips.

Nevertheless, I ignored these erratic thoughts and sneaked it into bed with me, laying a finger just beneath the cover. I finally flip open the first page, seeing the first date it was written: 20XX, May 2nd started it all. I began to read the journal thoroughly, skimming through the pages; not missing a single detail. As I continue to read, suddenly the feelings of curiosity turns; from concern, into horror.

I was beginning to understand more of the problem I was in. A lot more than I thought I knew.

I read that Daniel also lost his parents like me, during an infection attack, wiping out his entire home town. Only he, along with a few other victims survived. Except this time, he was rescued by Professor Amy instead.

I now flipped to the next page. Seemed that he took refuge here as well, in the same room as me and met Professor Grant. But, from the moment they've greeted each other, Daniel had also felt something funny about Professor Grant.

Turns out, he's also taken daily blood tests, like me. He too, saw the scary zombie experiment-testing room. After that, the book started to say a lot of things I didn't know, things that no one hadn't mentioned.

I flip over to the next few pages, though immediately come to a stop. Now the true hidden secrets were revealed.

I couldn't believe my eyes. What I saw couldn't possibly be true.

Daniel was part of the experiment, Professor Grant's experiment.

'Turns out, I was nothing more than a mere tool to him. The whole time, was using me as part of his experiment in finding the cure. Somehow, flowing within my blood (the immunity I had with in it) was a small source which could help lead to finding a cure for the whole virus itself.'

He had the immune blood running through his body as well. Immune blood?

I shivered just as I read the last 3 sentences:

'But, he tricked me; he knew he was going to have to kill me either way. He knew it was going to have to sacrifice me in order to achieve it, either way. Professor Grant really is going to kill me. I haven't been feeling so good lately. Soon I'll probably hit anemia, before hitting the bridge of death. Is this how he's planning to use anyone that has immune blood?

That lying son of a -'

I slam the book shut quickly. New thoughts brewed into my mind; there was no way this was real. This couldn't be true, it just couldn't. Could it?

Just then, this nervous, yet recognizable feeling returns, the same strange feelings I got from when I've first met Professor Grant. Was this the reason?