Chapter 38 - Spared for now

More like the sound of a clicking trigger. Professor Grant then pulls again, making the same noise as before. The pistol was empty.

Even though the gun was still pointed under Matt’s jaw, he too realized this as well.

A chuckle arose from Grant’s.

“Idiot.” He smirks, amused of Matt’s reaction. “This pistols outta ammo this time.”

Finally he releases the gun, tucking it back in his pocket. He then turns to look back at Matt. “Consider yourself lucky, boy. Cause next time, the pistol won’t be out of bullets.”

Matt says nothing. He could only nod in response, shivering but feeling safer now. Even Mr. himself, seemed more relaxed now that that was over.

I too, was feeling more calmed now. Thank god he wasn’t killed. Thank god Remember wasn’t killed as well (for now). And more importantly, the fact that we 3 still made it alive. But Rae…. Where was she?

That’s when the same question hits Professor Grant as well, as he turns to face us both and said, “Speaking of luck, I’ve noticed that your little party is one member short.”

I gulped.

“O-one member short?” I croaked.

He nods. He already knew. There was no surprise since he could’ve easily spotted her from above the air when back in the helicopter.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Matt huffs, looking away from Grant’s evil stare.

“Oh, I believe you do.” Grant comebacks, eyes narrowing to a deathly stare. “Don’t play dumb. Just a moment ago, I’ve noticed another person; A woman in fact, somewhat different from you assisting you in the ambush.”

He then tilts his glasses a bit. “She was somewhat high, with black hair and wields a sword I believe.”

It was Rae.

“R-Rae?” I found myself saying aloud, which then alerts the mad Professor.

Matt flashes me a look, which instantly mad me regret what my mouth had spat out. Oh crap.

“Rae…” He repeated, now turning that frown upside-down. “Rae Zhao. So that was here huh? It’s been so long since I’ve heard that name around here.”

And as he says this, his eyes seemed to stare towards Professor Amy instead. “Guess she too, joined FREZ as well. How disappointing.”

My eyes also turned to Professor Amy, only to see her reaction; A shock and a look of surprise.

Even her grip in me releases as well. Now using that hand to cover her mouth, I could already tell how she must feel about this. Her expression just says it all.

Grant then faces towards some of his men. “You seven, search the area until you find the woman named ‘Rae’.”

“Yes sir!” They accept firmly, not daring to object his command (Unless they wanted to go down the same path that their poor friend did).

Just then I noticed something; Rae was alive, but has fled back to FREZ, hopefully going to tell Uncle and the others where we are and what state we’re in. So that was the plan now?

Hopefully we’ll be saved by a rescue team soon enough: Unless Professor Grant’s men find her and capture her as well. Then we’re in trouble.

I clenched my fists.

“Mr. Grant sir, what about the kids?” Another soldier asks him.

His eyes then narrow at us, suspiciously. “Best not to take them back conscious, as they may try to escape. Put them under from this point on.”