Chapter 17 - A sudden betrayal: The real foe

Sudden screams from outside woke me up. I gasped, awaking from my slumber, to see my empty room. The clock read 6:00 am. At first, I thought it was just my imagination or something. But that’s when another cry is heard, and for sure I knew I wasn't sleeping. Another bang is sounded as well, along with a loud siren sound a car would make, whenever it was being pick locked or something. So many indescribable hollering came from a neighbor or so down the block.

It was strange. The neighbors here would never scream or make much loud noises. It had always been a quiet town here, until now.

Immediately I turn to the window, to see an odd red sky beaming through my window. It pours through the windows, and reflects onto the honey colored floors, where the shadows of many long, thin dispersing figures are. But from judging up lose, that's when I realized it was the form of smoke. There was a fire outside.

Climbing out of bed, I dashed over to take a look outside. However, once my head pokes over the thin clear transparent glass- what I saw was a total chaos, one that was beyond just a simple fire.

Houses, all of them were lighted up with uncontrollable waves of flames. But on the roads were even worse.

On the streets, were lots of people, so many of them. Scurrying here and there, roaring words that I could barely hear, through the thick clear wall that separated my sense of hearing from the disasters out there. But seeing the looks on their faces, they seemed worried, terrified.

I swallowed hard, my hands trembling against the glass barrier. What was going on out there? Why did everyone look so scared? Did something happen-?

Suddenly that's when the bedroom door behind me burst open as I hear a voice yell, "Rima!"

Slowly I wheel around to see daddy standing there, with a shotgun in his hands and an expression of worry.

Yet my attention was mostly drawn at the bad instrument he was holding in his hands-one which was used to shot bullets. Daddy told me to never touch, not let alone use such a thing like that, ever. But....

"D-Daddy...?" I croaked. "Why are you holding that-"

"No time to explain!" He urges, and harshly grabs my arm with his free hand. "Come, we need your help!"

I shuddered, just by hearing his words. The way he said it-he didn't say 'mommy and daddy', he said 'we', in a mature serious tone.

I then knew something was up-this told me something terribly bad was happening.

Next thing you know, we were dashing down the stairs to the kitchen. The sounds of our feet slaps against the hard wooden floors, and the soft heels of my feet started to become sore, but I was forced to ignore it. As we pass by the entrance door I could help but notice the loud knocking sounds from the other side-and how the door itself was barricaded? 

Four to six large wooden planks were nailed tightly, maintaining security, and blocking out whoever was out there.

"Daddy, why are the front doors-"

"No time to explain!" He hushed. "And try to keep quiet."

I see his left hand pull out a hand phone, and in it he says, "Dammit Chantel, where the hell are you?!"

Yet, just when we set foot into the kitchen, we finally see mommy.

And despite daddy's warning, that's when I release a scream of terror.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

An order rings in my ears. "Rima, wake up!" 

I gasped, jolting upwards. At first, everything was some blurry fuzz, but soon it came to view. I was still resting in my sleeping bag, within the darker, more 'hidden' parts of the canyon. It was already half past noon, as the sun blazes an orange glow through the horizon.