Chapter 5 - Unknown

Panic was now in me, ticking loudly like a time bomb. It was just minutes before I was ready to explode. Oh no, what do I do now?! Will Amy come back?

Even my neck begins to grow sore from rotating it too much. Still, Professor Amy was nowhere in sight--nor going to be returning back anytime soon.

Fighting to stay calm, I take a few slow deep breaths. Get it together, Rima.

'Ok' I say aloud. As my mind finally relaxes, that's when I plan it all out. If I'd remember, there was no one in sight, currently in this office.

My head slowly peeks from aside the desk, giving one last check around the room to make sure the close was clear. But right then and there, that's when the door behind me (where we had original entered) slides open and two other researchers enters the room.

Yikes! Immediately I duck back under the desk, though realizing that I was still too close in range. So as quietly as I can; I crawl to another counter, in hopes of avoiding sight. I take a glance back incase they've notice. Fortunately, they don't.

"I think something's bothering her." I hear one of them say, soon recognized to be Miss Freer's voice.

"Professor Amy, you mean?" The other person (Mr. Juno) asks, "What makes you think that?"

"She looked really surprised and rather nervous when she saw us." She told him.

There was a long pause. Then, I hear her add, "And did you see the way she reacted, after hearing what Dr. Grant's plans were on using that little Orlume girl, Rima?"

A strange feeling gurgles within my stomach. M-Me?

"Yes, I agree." Mr. Juno says, "But, we can't blame him. Surely it doesn't sound too serious to how it seems."

Miss Freer hesitates. "I guess. But still, he was saying that she was going to have many blood tests."

She then exhales deeply. "Honestly, she's been taking a whole awfully lot of blood tests-maybe even more beyond her compatibility. What if what happens to her happens like...the other Immune child?"

Immune child? I wonder. Who-?

"That poor child: She's might as well be ready to die, if the experiment itself doesn't go well."

At that moment, I felt my heart stop. I couldn't believe my ears. I was going to...die?

Shivers begin to course through, up and down my spine, uncontrollably. My hands trembled-shaking in fear, in anxiety of what they've just said. What did they mean, I might die? What experiment were they talking about?

As I lean in to hear more, suddenly that's when my hand accidentally knocks over a piece of crumpled paper-creating a loud crackling noise to echo from where I was.

My eyes widen. Oh no.

There came a long pause. "Hey did you hear that?" Mr. Juno asks.

"It's probably one of those rats or something." Miss Freer simply replies. "Why?"

"Cause I think I heard it from somewhere around here."

That's when footsteps begin to draw near, to where I was hiding.

Shit. I struggle to remain and still as quiet as I can. But, the loud clacking noises of their shoes continued to come. This was it.

Just when it stops, a few feet behind me (at the side of the desk), already I knew it was over. I was definitely caught this time.

But just when the worst could come, a miracle happens.

Right then and there, the same sound of the automatic doors open. Someone calls out, "Mr. Juno, Miss Freer can you come with me for a minute? Mr. Havocks isn't feeling so well..."