Chapter 8 - A Sinister look on his face

"Ok, that'll do for now Rima."

I stopped stirring, and my head turns over to where mommy was. Her focus is still on cutting her vegetables on the cutting board.

She then asks, "Rima dear, can you run downstairs to get 2 cans of green beans for mommy?"

"Alright!" I nod, already placing down the wooden spoon I hold. Hopping off my ducky stool, I then dash out the kitchen, heading towards the doorway to where the basement was. My mind is still focused on the 1 objective: to fetch 2 cans of green beans for mommy.

A few seconds later, I now find myself gazing down the damp staircase, to nothing but an endless darkness. Nothing is seen, nor heard beyond the last 3 steps. However, not for long.

I gulped. Here it goes. And take a deep breath before advancing.

I carefully make my way down, grasping the wooden side railing for support. Apart from hearing mommy still working loudly upstairs, were the sounds of my socks--with each and every step I'd make, my feet would make a hard slapping noise against the smooth cement stairs. Once I finally hit the last step onto the cold, bare cement floor, the lights flickers open--erasing both the darkness, and my jitters.

Whew. I give a breath of relief. What I would've done without these automatic light switches.

Now I was fully able to see all round the basement. In this stuffy small room (barely reaching 10 by 10 in meters), is where daddy stores all the old, broken and not-to-be-thrown away furniture, along with all the non-perishable food supplies.

I head over to where the canned foods were, my eyes skimming over to find the ones labeled as 'Green beans'. And fortunately, it doesn't take long until I finally find it: all stacked up perfectly, against a foot or so high shelf (extending just below my shoulder level). The metal shelf is adjacent to an old back door as well, once which hasn't been used for years. It was old, it was broken, and it was bolted shut for some apparent reason--though like I knew why.

Quickly shaking that off, my focus is returned to the contained rack. As I reached up using both hands, I successfully pull out 2 containers. Only a third comes out along too, and falls. It rolls towards where the unused door, stopping along the base of the synthetic grey door with a clank.

Great.

Running over to where it lay, I abruptly pluck it off the floor.

Suddenly, an unknown bang makes me yelp and fall back. I gaze around cautiously, searching for that anonymous noise. It repeats once more, this time having to be coming from beyond the door itself.

I stare at the door, unable to figure what or even who it was, or how it could possibly be there.

"H-Hello?" I call out. Another banging noise is its response. Then came a soft low moan, soon to be growing louder.

I now find myself backing away unwillingly, unsure if I should be staying here any longer. Who was there?

And right then and there, a terrifying scowl sends me sprinting up the basement stairs, not daring to look back. I had to tell mommy and daddy.

Once I was finally back upstairs, I come to a rest near the side of the hallways. My heels were burning. As I bent over, to take a few breathes; I was now at rest (cans still in my arms). I no longer heard that unusual racket--probably too quiet for me to hear from up here. No way I was going back to find out though.

Shaking that thought away, I was now headed back to the kitchen. That's when my ears pick up some low voices in the background, and I stop. Standing just by the kitchen entrance, I was able to visibly hear both daddy and Mr.'s voices. Even with the loud cooking noises, my only curiosity was at where daddy and Mr. are. My head turns to the living room, and there I see Mr. with daddy. They were sitting at the sofa, the back of their heads poking over the back of the couch frame. But, I was still able to see somewhat of daddy's mood, and just by seeing the serious look on daddy's face; seems like what they were talking about was serious.