Chapter Fifty One

Here we are at Chapter Fifty One, and honestly, who knew we would make it this far?(': But we did and for thank I'm thankful, and I think you guys are as well. I'm doing my best to draw out this story while keeping it realistic and flowing, so I guess this chapter could be called a filler of sorts, with no editing, so excuse that. Picture on the side is Marshall after basketball, relates to the chapter, and anywho, no more stalling, remember to take a look at the author's note at the end!

---

Saturday morning, I woke up after my head collided with my cell phone repeatedly, convieniently placed in case there was some sort of critical case emergency during the night and the hospital or Luna chose to contact me. Thankfully, when I rose, there were no new calls from either Luna or the hospital, but a call from Marshall, and a text as well. 

Him: Adrienne, pick up your phone.

It was a stern message, and I could almost hear him reprimanding me with worry as he sometimes did, because of his matured age, but I was much too tired to be suddenly anxious. I propped myself up in bed, running my hands through my tangled hair, and dialed his number. He snapped up the phone immediately, on the very first ring.

"Adrienne?" he said into the speaker, swallowing hard. I sighed, disdainful at how I'd obviously left him worrying through the night.

"Yeah, hey Marshall."

"What's wrong? What happened? You didn't pick your phone up so I got kinda worried."

Now that he knew I was safe and sound, the tense tone from his voice had dropped and all that was left was a more raggedy version of his normal voice, probably because of the morning. 

"Listen, baby, I'm really sorry about that. Just some shit happened last night and it happened so fast I couldn't call you or tell you or anything like that, and it was late last night when I did get home, so I figured you'd be asleep."

"What, what happened?"

I rubbed at my half-shut eyelids, debating on how to bring up something like what I was going to tell him. "Well...long story short, there was a shooting last night, and Dev and some of my friends were hurt."

"Fuck," he gasped. "Shit, were you there?"

"No," I assured him, listening to his shallow breathing. "Marshall, I'm okay, don't worry. Him and the others hurt were rushed to the hospital, and last I saw of him, he'd come out of surgery."

"Shit, how is he?"

"He's as good as he can be right now. I'm going to go visit him today."

"Dri...are you sure you're alright?" he murmured to me attentively.

"Well, no, not really," I admitted quite calmly, less emotional than I thought I would have been for an occasion like this, but then again, I never had pictured Dev like this. "It's hurting me to see him hurting and Luna's hurting too and she loves him so much and it's just overwhelming and crazy and I hate it. I can't even imagine my life if the shooting had been fatal."

"You and Luna made up?" he asked in awe, back-tracking. And then with even more awe. "She loves him?"

"Yeah, we actually made up a few hours before the accident happened. I couldn't believe it myself at first, but she told me she's loved him for about a year, and yesterday I saw the first and only sign of affection she's ever shown." The way she'd kissed Dev's lips, with the utmost cautiousness, was one of the most touching events I'd ever witnessed in my life, and I really had no idea why.

"What did she do?" Marshall wanted to know in a low, curious voice that reminded me of a small boy questioning something inappropriate.

"She bent over and kissed him, right as he drifted off to sleep. The drugs that they gave him during surgery to ease the pain made him so drowsy after that he mistook my voice for hers."