Chapter Fifty Two

Hi loves, sorry for the delay but this is Chapter Fifty Two, which picks up where the previous one ended, enjoy and read the author's note at the end, please! I haven't edited at all, so this is the completely raw copy, but I didn't want to delay the chapter any longer, so here. ;P

---

The car ride to the hospital eventually came to an end in the parking lot, as I found a relatively close parking slot to the entrance of the clean, orderly building, and Marshall and I left the vehicle, locking it behind us.

"We'll be here for about an hour or so," I explained as we moved into the building, Marshall's face hidden well and unrecognizable in most lighting. "I don't like to stay very long, because then I start to feel like one of the patients myself."

He chuckled, and nodded. "I agree."

Following texting directions from Luna, who was naturally already in the hospital waiting for us like we'd confirmed, we were able to locate the room, and glancing at each other expressionlessly before we moved into the atmosphere of the room.

Dev's motionless body was stretched out upon the bed, Luna seated a fair distance away from him in another chair that had been brought it. When we entered, Luna bleakly rose and kissed me on the cheek, and I did to her as well. She and Marshall made small eye contact, and then Marshall and I moved to Dev's bedside.

Marshall bobbed his head and I watched his Adam's apple rise and fall in his throat as he stepped in behind me and leaned over the bed, extending his arm.

"Hey man," he greeted, clearing his throat respectfully as him and Dev shook hands with the utmost politeness.

"Good to see you again," Dev replied, voice croaky with a brief nod. He seemed surprised to see us, perhaps because we had entered so smoothly and noiselessly.

"How you pulling through?"

"I'm still alive, so for that I'm grateful."

As Dev spoke directly to Marshall, my eyes wandered to Luna, who had changed since the last time I'd seen her and was now fiddling with her empty hands in her lap. Her eyes were downcast, and she seemed exhaustedly distracted. I moved over to her, and laid a hand on her shoulder. She twitched immediately as our limbs made contact.

"Luna," I started, debating on how to say what I was trying to, while also making it an enticing offer. "You should go home."

Her head snapped up. "Why, Dri?"

"Look at you. You're exhausted, and you need some rest and relaxation. I know you want to be here with him right now, but his condition is stable. You've been here for a while."

"I know, but what if something happens to him?" Her eyes were wide, and dry, as if the tears in them had been absorbed and had never even existed.

"Nothing's going to happen to him. He's doing good, and even if his condition got worse all of a sudden, the doctors and nurses would take care of it, and we'd call you." I glanced caringly over at Dev to prove a point, and watched him interact freely with Marshall. He had more mobility than before, and was now able to stretch out his upper body despite the bullets he'd taken horrifyingly. They were both completely oblivious to the fact we were discussing him.

"Should I?"

It was almost as if she needed, she craved my confirmation. Her brain was too worn to process information itself.

"You should," I soothed. "And you can come back after you've gotten some sleep and eaten well. I'm sure Dev wants some time by himself, despite all the nice company."