Chapter Forty One

Hey guys, here's Chapter Forty One, and it's long by my standards, so I'm uber proud lol. Speaking of proud, today is Eminem's fourth year of sobriety, and ironic that it's on 4/20, so cheers(': Also check out the amazing picture of Dri and Marshall on the side that I really like, and since this chapter is so cute, I'm not going to stall, but of course you should always read the author's note at the end(;

---

Him: I'm on my way to your house.

That was the text I received from Marshall after a hectic Tuesday workday, while I was dressing for the planned gathering in the cemetery. The overhanging clouds in the sky signaled to me it would be best I dressed somewhat warmly, and the November winds crackling the fallen leaves persuaded me to throw on a cardigan over my black dress. Feet clad in heels shorter than I normally wore, I awaited Marshall, and once he knocked firmly on the door, I selected a purse filled with what I needed, and trailed after him to the car.

He kissed me hello, but didn't urge me to speak about my feelings, which we both felt appropriate considering I was on the way to something I had up until recently dreaded. He proved to me that he would stick strictly to his claims of looking after me protectively by reaching for my hand and soothingly kneading my fingers as he drove. He knew his way to the cemetery without even asking, and I wondered how.

"Oh...by the way, Dev will be there," I let him know once we were about three-fourths of the way there.

"Dev?" he echoed, surprised.

"Yeah."

"Okay."

"I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all, honey."

The muteness in the car changed when he rolled the car into the parking lot, took an empty slot, and stopped the car all together. Taking a look-see at me to see whether or not I was doing okay, he then swung open the car door on his side, and exited, shutting the door behind him.

"Thank you again...for coming," I managed to choke out as Marshall cracked open the car door gallantly for me. Snatching my purse up and throwing it over my shoulder, I adjusted my simple white cardigan and tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. As I stepped out onto the parking lot and gazed out into the distance, as far as my eyes could stretch, I saw foliage, peaceful statues, and of course, graves. There were more than hundreds of them, and my breath caught in my throat a little as I became fixated on the sight.

"No problem," Marshall reassured as he threw his hood up over his head, closing the car door quietly. "You okay, Adrienne?"

"As okay as I can be."

"I know it's hard, sweetheart." His fingers slid through mine and caught onto my numb hand, squeezing our palms together. His was cool against my skin, while my palm was clammy and hot.

"Yeah," I agreed listlessly, and pressed back. He then proceeded to lock the car securely, and together we entered Mount Olivet Cemetery.

We strode in silence for a short while, making our way through the rows of tombs, before Marshall exhaled and glanced up at me, eyes locking onto mine. "So we're meeting Luna and Dev at the grave?"

"Yeah."

"Do you know where it is?"

"Yes."

I didn't feel like talking too much; I was balancing out my attention to various other topics. I was hopeful that Marshall and Dev wouldn't resort to arguments upon seeing each other, and that I could control my emotions. Every now and then as we walked respectfully over the gravestones, me leading him by the link in our hands, I could feel his expectant eyes upon me, scanning my face for the smallest sign of becoming unbearably upset. It was courteous of him to clearly care about me to the point that he would do this with me and for me, but I felt as if once we reached our destination and Luna and Dev were both there, all eyes would be on me.