Chapter Twenty Two

Hi everyone. So as you all know, I'm on break right now, which means that I'll be uploading a lot faster than usual if I don't run into little writer's blocks. -__- But I am going on vacation in a couple days or so, and since it's up in the mountains, I have no idea whether I'll have WiFi. If I do, that'd be great, and I'll post whenever I can(: If not, I'll leave you guys with a couple chapters to quench your Marshall and Dri thirst, hehe, and when I come back, I'll upload as soon as possible. Sound good? I decided to start off with Marshall's POV this time, because the majority of the time, Dri is talking. This chapter also changes between Marshall and Dri's POV once or twice, so start reading! ;D

---

Eminem's POV:

That night, even though I had barely slept the night before, I could hardly sleep. I tried to keep my mind off of her, but that shit was impossible. Her face was burned into my mind, and she was unforgettable.  I debated sending her a short message or calling her, but I didn't want to wake her up, and it was still unclear what terms we were on. But her gesture, that one rose, lightened my mood so much, it was crazy.

I fucked up, really bad. And the way she looked at me like I was a monster, it felt like a spike was being driven through my heart. Shit has to change, I scolded myself. You need to be mature and loving. Don't let the violent Marshall get out, especially with Dri, and never with the girls. If anything happened to them, because of something I did while in a rage, I would never forgive myself. Something like the hysteria I experienced a couple nights ago hadn't happened for six or so years, if the small fit I had with the bastard that tried to put his hands on Dri didn't count. I don't count that, because that prick deserved what he got, and that wasn't even half of the shit I could bring.

But for now, all I wanted to do was hold her. I could never admit this publicly, because they would be on my ass forever about it, but those who've gotten to know me well do know that I have a soft side. I'm a normal human too, and everybody wants that one somebody, even me. When I found Dri, I wasn't looking.

To be honest, I'd almost given up. I was done with trust and done with bullshit "love", which for me never ended right. I was always confused over my feelings when I was in a relationship with Kim. What I had in the past with her was mostly lust, if not completely lust. And the feeling of needing someone and knowing that she would be the one that would let me stay and make me feel normal by picking fights and beating each other's asses. We didn't dare leave each other because we knew we were crazy as hell and nobody else understood us and completed us like each other. Of course, Hailie was also an excuse we pulled up every time things got hard and one of us wanted to get out of the mess we called a relationship.

I'm older now. I'm sober, and I'm different than I was. I've said what I wanted to say in my older shit, and I vented everything out. I want something long-term, maybe even forever. And Dri gave and gives me that comfort.

And it still confuses me so much how I was able to get someone like her. I've been broken, beaten, abused, deserted, and there she is. Ready to pick up my broken parts and piece me back together. Ready to connect with my daughters, the most important thing in my life. Ready to step out of her comfort zone, and even eat dinner with my rap buddies. And that itself means so much to me.

So I held the rose in my hand, curled up in the fetal position on my bed, and realized how much it symbolized me. I was covered with thorns, unapproachable, and those who were worth it would push past the outside image. Like Dri did. And I don't know if I could just let her go now that I know what life is like with her.

The minutes dragged by, and my eyelids grew heavy. Still clutching the rose as best as I could despite the sharp thorns, I made a mental note to contact Dri tomorrow.