Chapter Fifty Six

Hey guys, it's been months and I did say I would eventually upload, so here's what I've been able to write. It may not be long and amazing, (because keep in  mind, I haven't worked on this in months and I have little to no idea where I left off with my thought process,) but I just wanted to continue this for the fans that have begged me to. I spontaneously logged onto Wattpad and saw the votes, comments, and reads had doubled since I'd been gone, and that kind of pushed me to continue, so I apologize for the wait, and hopefully you enjoy this.

---

"Time goes by too fast," he murmured, playing around with his scoop of ice cream as we seated ourselves in the same familiar booth, his hood pulled up over his head, casting a troubled shadow over his chiseled face. We'd ordered the same as last time, and like last time as well, it was only us and the four walls of the ice cream parlor, with the exception of a slow ballad softly playing from the speakers placed in a corner of the ceiling.

I took a second to think about it, and he was right. My life had transformed directly in front of my eyes and not once had I paused to think about the monumental changes taking place. They were all caused by that one night, so long ago it should have been a blur, but it was crystal clear. I could easily recall the gruff tone of his voice that night; the delicate touch of his tentative hand in his attempt to soothe me, and I fell in love with him all over again, sitting across from him in the old-fashioned ice cream parlor. Some things happen because they're supposed to lead to other things. I wished time could slow and let me have him for a while longer, because I didn't know how long this would last. Marshall and I could fall apart in seconds, minutes, hours, months, or years, and because that was unclear, I wanted to bind the hands of the clock and hold him to me, memorize the curvatures of his cheeks and lips, the dip of his nose and the carved curve of his chin. But I couldn't, and so I absorbed all the little details of his body and face, second by second, minute by minute.

"At least I get time with you," I replied, moving my hand over his, pushing aside my empty ice cream cup.

His eyes were dark when he lifted them from the table, but they softened and lightened drastically as he gazed at me.

"Do you know what I think about the most?" he asked.

"What?"

"How this happened. How I went from bitter and cold to this." He lowered his eyes and tightened his grip on my fingers, licking his lips nervously as he attempted to find the perfect words to explain what he meant.

"I hardly recognize myself anymore, and I don't mind that, because compared to what I am now, I was bitter and angry and closed up for no reason. I'd been hurt, but it could always be worse, and I realized that and thought about it." He raised his eyes almost in the manner a shy puppy would, and offered me a weak smile.

"It's hard to understand and even harder to explain, but you know how you like to read? I've been readin' some too. I know there's a name for what I feel for you, but I don't know it. I'm searching for a way to let you know how I feel, because you deserve to know how awe-inspiring you are."

"You don't have to," I said softly, a warm flush creeping into my cheeks, flattered. "I can see the way you feel just by looking into your eyes."

His expression changed and he shifted closer to me, both his soothing hands holding mine. "You always know just what to say," he chuckled, and he was back to his suave self,  the weak and romantically vulnerable moment gone and only a memory. But his eyes were still pools of blue glass and I saw myself in them, more beautiful than I had ever seen myself before in my life. The things he does to me...the power he has over me, I thought in wonder.

"Let's go," he suggested, finishing up the last of his ice cream and leaving a small tip on the table for whoever was in the back. Last time we'd enjoyed the company of the cheerful motherly woman who'd attended to us, but it was nice to be able to have the same privacy average couples had in public at times as well.

"Where to?"

"Anywhere you like," he smiled, pulling the door open for me, and with a chime of bells, we'd left the ice cream parlor and begun heading to the car. It had started to rain once more, as it did often during the winters of Michigan, and soon enough the rain would turn to snow and slush under the tires of vehicles. I inched my head, shoulders, and arms deeper into my hoodie and tightened the strings as Marshall opened the car door and waited for me to move into the seat. Closing the door behind me, he came around to the driver's side, shut the door behind him, and sat there for a while, hands loosely wrapped around the steering wheel.

And then, in one quick, unexpected motion, he turned to me, cupped my face with a desperate hand, and kissed me. My lips instinctively moved underneath his and I entwined my arms around his neck as he shifted closer to me and the warmth radiated off his body. His lips suckled mine, and he kissed with a different sort of hunger than he'd ever kissed me with before. It was the sort of desperate kiss you would give to someone if you were trying to savor the taste of their tongue and sweet mouth, as if you were about to leave forever. I didn't mind, but the sudden, unlikely change in character flustered me.

"What's wrong, baby?" I questioned, facing him after he'd let me go.

"I can't imagine not having you in a week. In a week, I won't be here and you won't be with me, and that makes me a little afraid. I could lose you so easily," he admitted in a low tone, barely audible.

"You won't lose me. You can't lose me," I assured, resting my head on his shoulder, and the stiffness of his body changed, moving to absorb my warmth and words. "You have nothing to worry about. I'm yours and I will be when you get back."

Then he turned to me, something unreadable in his eyes that I'd never seen before, and abruptly, I found myself doubting what I had said. Anything could happen, I knew that all too well, but would the events in our futures separate us or keep us as one?

---

Yeah, I know this chapter was unedited and kinda shitty but I hope you enjoyed this short little chapter, I owed you all something and I thought that this would be much more appreciated than nothing. I have some reading of the past chapters to catch up on so I can regain and rethink my thoughts about what I want to do with this story, but if you have any suggestions or comments, you can post them below. I just want to put out there that if I get hate for posting a shorter chapter after months of absence, you might as well not even read my story anymore because I post to my convenience, and as much as I love writing, I can't center my life around Wattpad, Dri, and Marshall. There's no song or gif/picture for this chapter because YouTube and Photobucket were being stupid. Thanks again for all the support! -Parisa.