Chapter Fifty Five

Chapter Fifty Five, loves, not going to say much else except for the author's note of course!(:

---

Sunday morning, I parted from the Mathers household with a long, hard kiss from Marshall, two shy pecks on the cheek from Hailie and Laney, and a squeezing embrace from Whitney. It was almost as if they were my new family; new individuals I'd unexpectedly become connected to over the past few months after the loss of literally the direct only relative I had recently heard from. It was nice to be accepted. My only wish, a greedy one at that, was that I had grown up the way they had. Of course they'd had difficulties as well, and they'd struggled with some unfair matters no youth should have to deal with at that age, but what mattered was Marshall loved them and he loved him in the morning and he loved them in the nights and he'd loved them since the first day they'd came into his life. The way he acted towards his daughters subliminally reminded me of my own father, and that made me love him more.

We didn't talk about that day in the car or the night before we went to sleep when he confronted me about it; it was as if I'd never confessed my love. And I was more okay with that than I thought I'd be. Looking back on our blossoming relationship, I had so wearily pursued confessing my love to him, and now that it was said and done, I felt nearly no difference. Maybe I was confused, but that was okay.

I didn't think about Marshall much as I drove home, showered, changed, ate, and made a visit to the hospital. From Dane's nurse and himself, I heard that Dane was to be discharged shortly, and upon finding Demario's hospital room empty, I discovered from a staff member that he'd already been discharged. His positive attitude and well-treated injuries had worked on his side to get him away from the horrid hospital food as fast as possible. Dev, however, was still in his bed. He was expected to be released Tuesday, but that depended on how healthy he was on judgement day. Luna was there as usual, and the three of us sat together in a small formation of sorts, smiling and laughing like old times. Dev was in a good mood, his pill dosages had been lowered because of how his body was working to repair him, and he was able to stay up for a good six hours before the nurse came in and asked us politely to leave, it was his nap time of sorts. We agreed naturally, and I watched Luna's eyes linger on Dev's own smoldering ones. I wondered if me and Marshall had looked at each other like that once, or if we still even did.

Down in the cafeteria as we stood next to each other blending sugar and half-and-half into our black coffee was when I brought up the topic I knew she'd want to hear about.

"So guess what?" I started, stirring my beverage slowly and watching the coloration mutate slowly.

"What?"

"I said I love you to him."

Her head snapped up, lips in a wide, expectant grin, face almost impish. "And?!" she demanded.

"He didn't say it back."

Her eyes scanned my face, stupefied. "And...you're okay with that?"

My calm manner must've thrown her off, considering how much I'd wanted it only a month or two ago.

"Yeah. I understand now. I didn't understand then, but now I do. He doesn't have to love me for me to love him."

She seemed impressed, and satisfied, she lifted a thin eyebrow curiously. "You know though, you can never tell what's going through a guy's head. A lot of them are scared of commitment. I'm sure you'll get there one day. You two are a beautiful couple." And she gave me a genuine smile. It was ths happiest I'd seen her in almost a week. Her pink and lightly glossed lips curled back over her white, straight teeth, a warm chuckle coming from the depths of her throat. It was such a youthful and rare smile, I couldn't keep my eyes off her lifted mouth. I couldn't think of the last time someone had gazed at my mouth as fondly as I was doing to her now.