Chapter Sixteen

Hi guys. Okay, so I have an important author's note at the end of this chapter, please read it, honestly it would mean a lot to me, and hopefully you enjoy this chapter. Thanks to dale123, she gave me the idea for this chapter. If anyone has any critique, I'd love to hear it, because I think I'm hard on myself, but not hard enough. ;P Vote, comment, go go go(: -Parisa. c;

---

Wednesday at work was relaxed and mellow, mostly because Mr. Rizzo had overheard me and Dev's little fight, and since then, he'd been lighter on me. Once I'd simply told him I wasn't able to come to work yesterday, he'd just nodded and patted my shoulder in a fatherly way. And it was true. While I was overjoyed because of the position me and Marshall were in at the moment, a part of me wondered, what about me and Dev? He'd always cared for me and supported my choices; while other girls were out prostituting themselves, I was studying ferverently for finals, something the high schoolers of North 8 Mile didn't do. It made me fearful to think I'd lose him because of his untrue opinion on Marshall. But there was nothing I could do. I was too angered to reach out to him and draw him to me again. Whatever was to happen would.

---

As I pulled up the driveway, coming home from a day of work, classical music whispering through the stereo, I saw the most unrealistic sight ever and my jaw dropped, eyes stretched out.

Dev and Marshall were across from each other, legs stanced as if they were tense, their jaws both rippling with immense emotion and power, Marshall's hands hidden in his pockets, Dev's hanging. And there was Dane, standing on his porch, slack jawed, eyes wider than my own, frozen in awe. I yanked the key out of the car, swooshed open the car door, and hopped out, dashing up to them both.

Marshall turned to me, eyes puzzled, one of them twitching as it always did. "Dri," he began, but I pushed gently past him, our fingers interlocking for a brief second before I stood in front of Dev.

"What the fuck is going on?" I demanded, my question directed at him.

Dev ignored me, raising his head and bobbing it at Marshall, his top lip curling over his glistening teeth, jaw clenched. "Fight me," he snarled.

Marshall stepped in front of me, and I could feel his body heat melding with mine. His protective touch lingered on my upper hip as he reached back and steadied me, exhaling deep and hard. "Nah man. Don't be starting shit."

I glanced over at Dane, and his face had gone sheet white, and I wasn't sure if it was out of excitement that Eminem was less than twenty feet away from him, or the fact that shit could go down very soon. Dev glared at Marshall, eyes fiery, and then turned his glare to me behind Marshall. I tried not to falter and stare back, but it was hard for me to stare emotionlessly into the eyes of a guy who'd once wanted my happiness.

"I think it's best you leave, dawg." Marshall's gaze was just as impenetrable as Dev's, and his voice was stony and authorative, yet polite and mature. "Don't start shit."

"Shut the fuck up, I don't give a fuck what you think," Dev sneered, shifting his feet furiously. And then his eyes met mine again. "You really want this piece of shit for your boyfriend?"

"Don't you fucking say that, Devon," I spoke up harshly. "Get the hell out of here."

"Fine. If you fucking want to be with this dumb son of bitch, you can, and I won't even say shit no more. I just hope you know the way he feels about women and relationships." His words were spat, and for a second, Marshall must have thought he was going to take a swing at me as he moved past us, because he jerked me back and pressed me into his back.

"Ay, fuck you!" Marshall yelled brutally as Dev stomped away, the inner demon coming out of him. His biceps and arm muscles coiled dangerously under his shirt, but I tugged on one of them to restrain him. He glimpsed back at me, and forced air through his mouth, heart heavy. "You wanna say shit? Bitch, you don't even know me!"