Breathless

Chapter 8

After the rest of the boys got home later, Liz insisted on having me over for dinner, since my mother had to leave early for work tonight. It had been about 3 days since I’ve gotten here and I’ve barely seen my mother at all. She was always either sleeping or working.

I was sitting in Luke’s living room while Liz made dinner in the kitchen. Ashton and Luke sat on either side of me. Michael lived with Calum and they had both gone straight home after the boys got back.

“How was your day with Michael?” Ashton asks, flipping through channels on the T.V.

“Fine, we went out for pizza at this weird pizza place and watched movies.” I told him, yawning.

“What weird pizza place? The only pizza place Michael goes to is Pizza Hut.”Luke explains, looking puzzled.

“It was at this town like 45 minutes away from here. The name was something in Italian, I don’t remember. It was really weird though, the parking lot was deserted and I had this bad feeling the whole time we were there.” I tell them, “Michael seemed really excited about it though, I felt bad for making him take me back home.”

I glance at both of them, they both look equally confused.

Michael never mentioned any pizza place like that.” Ashton says.

“He borrowed your car too, Ashton.” Liz yells from the kitchen, making it obvious that she was listening to the whole conversation. “That is very strange though. I’ll ask Michael about it later.”

“I don’t think we should tell Michael about this. I’ll tell Calum to keep an eye on him.” Ashton says, putting a reassuring hand on my back.

“Dinner is almost ready, Luke come set the table.” Liz calls.

“Ugh, fine” He whines, standing up and walking to the kitchen.

“Did you guys have any luck, with finding where they are?” I asked Ashton, who seemed to be focused on the T.V.

“No luck, all we got were dead ends.” Ashton says, slamming the remote down in frustration.

“You can try again tomorrow.” I try to reassure him.

“Yeah, I guess.” He sighs.

“I can’t help but feel like this is my fault.” I admit to him.

He shakes his head frantically.

“How many times do I have to tell you that none of this is your fault!” He exclaims, “I’m the one who got you into this mess, stop blaming yourself.”

“I’m sorry.” I whisper, staring at the floor.

“Dinner is ready! Come eat!” Liz calls from the kitchen.

************************************************

Luke walks me home again. Once we got to the door I invited him inside to watch a movie with me.

“Sure.” He says, opening the door for me.

It’s pitch black inside and I can’t see a thing. Luke rushes in front of me and hold out his arm.

“There is somebody in here.” He whispers, “We need to go back to my house, now.”

The door slams behind me and I scream. Luke grabs me and pushes me behind him. I grab the back of his T-shirt.  

“Is it a demon?” I ask him.

I’m shaking at this point. Luke is silent, he’s listening. The only thing I hear is the sound of my own breathing.

I hear a loud bang come from upstairs. I jump and grip Luke’s shirt tighter. He backs me into the door, I lean all my weight onto the door.

“See if the door is unlocked.” Luke whispers, his voice sounds strained.

I try the door, it’s locked.

“Fuck,” I curse, jiggling the nob frantically.

“Who’s in here?!” Luke yells, “Do you know who I am?!”

“You’re Lucas Hemmings, but you can’t do shit right now. Not with the human behind you.” Says a voice from the top of the stairs.

Luke pushes me back more, so that my head was leaning on the small of his back.

“You have no idea what I can do.” Luke growls.

“Don’t break my house please.” I whisper to him, I had no idea what he was capable of.

To my own surprise, he laughed. It wasn’t one of his light laughs, it was dry and dark.

“I’ll fix it.” He promises.

“I wouldn’t try anything if I were you.” The voice warns.

“Really?” Luke mocks, “What are you going to do?”

Suddenly all the breath leaves my lungs. I couldn’t catch my breathe, I started to choke and fell to the ground. The feeling of Luke’s shirt leaves my fingers as I fall to the floor. I’m about to lose consciousness when I feel air start to pass through again. I struggle to catch my breathe again. Luke is at my side, rubbing my back.

“We’re leaving now.” He says, catching his own breath.

He picks me up bridal style and quickly carries me back to his house. He kicks the door and Ashton opens it.

“What happened?” Ashton exclaims.

“There was a demon in her house. I think I injured it.” Luke says, carrying me to the couch, “Get here some water please.”

I hear Ashton fill a cup with water. I close my eyes and focus on my breathing. I open my eyes when Ashton walks into the room with a tall glass of water. I gulp the water and Luke tells Ashton the whole story. I sit up and set the glass on the table.

“Someone needs to make sure that there's nobody in the house when my mom gets home.” I tell them.

“I’ll get Calum to check the place out in the morning.” Ashton assures me.

I lean back on the couch and sigh.

“They keep getting into her house. We need to keep a better eye on it.” Ashton says, sitting beside me on the couch.

“Michael was supposed to keep an eye on the house tonight.” Luke mentions.

“We need to talk to him. I think there is something going on with him.” Ashton says.

“You’re right. C’mon Isla, you can sleep in my room and I’ll sleep on the couch.” Luke says.

“Goodnight.” Ashton says, pulling me into a hug.

“Night.” I whisper into his chest.

I follow Luke upstairs into his bedroom. The room was clean and his bed was completely made, it almost looked as if it was never slept in.

“I can’t sleep.” Luke mentions, “I don’t know why, but I can’t”

“What will you do all night?” I ask him.

“Read, watch T.V.” He lists.

“Oh, okay.” I say.

I cuddle into the warm bed and close my eyes.

“Goodnight Isla.” Luke whispers as he leaves the room.

“Night, Luke.” I mumble under my breathe.

It wasn’t hard for me to fall asleep that night.