North Carolina

Chapter 1

I get off the plane in North Carolina. It feels weird moving back to North Carolina after living in Scotland with my father for so long. I go to get my suitcases, my guitar and I look for my mother. I feel nervous seeing her again. I still felt a slight resentment against her for leaving me with my drunken, abusive father for four precious years of my life. After I get my stuff I wander around for awhile, looking for her. I finally sit at a bench outside and decided to text her. I wait and wait for her to answer. Finally a huge black Hummer pulled up in front of where I was sitting. A boy that looked about my age, maybe a year or two older, climbes out of the car. The boy had light brown curly hair that fell over his eyes which were hazel-green. He was about 6 feet tall and towered over my short 5'3 feet.

“Are you Isla?” He asks in a thick Australian accent.

I nod.

“Your mum sent me to pick you up since she was busy getting your room ready.” He explains, “I'm Ashton.”

He stuck out his hand, which was huge. I put my hand in his and he shook it slightly. He smiles at me and to be honest it calms me a little. I'd always been a little on edge when it came to talking to boys, because of my abusive past with my father. I stand up as Ashton starts getting my bags and putting them into the back of his car. I walk over to the passenger side door and open it.  The bottom of the car went up mid-shin on me, but the seat almost came up to my waist. I stood there for a few moments, considering how I could climb into the car without looking too embarrassing. I heard a chuckle behind me. Suddenly there were arms around my waist, picking me up and placing me carefully in the passenger seat. I let out a faint squeak. I hear Ashton laugh as he walks back to the drivers side. I relax slightly into the black leather seat as Ashton starts the car. Suddenly a fluffy blond head pops out of the back of the car. I scream, almost falling to the car's floor.

“Hi! I'm Michael!” He exclaims happily.

 After I compose myself I murmer a faint “Hi.” to him.

“So she can talk!” Ashton exclaims joyfully.

I feel a smile appear on my face. These guys, despite their weirdness, were easy to warm up to.

“So where are you coming from, Isla” Michael asks.

“Scotland, I was born there, but I spent most of my childhood in America.” I answer.

“Why'd you move here?” Ashton asks next, his eyes flickering from the road to me. 

“Well I lived with my dad, but he died.” I explain “Alcohol poisoning.”

“Oh, I'm sorry for your loss.” Michael comments.

“Don't be. He was an abusive drunkard.” I tell them “I don't miss him.”

It was silent after that, as if all the happiness had been sucked out of the car. Ashton turns into a dirt road and all signs of civilization disappear, they were replaced by huge farmhouses and wooded areas. He took another turn and turns into a dirt driveway. The house in front of me looks nothing like the pictures my mom had sent me. Ashton sees the confused look on my face and explains;

“This is the house I share with my friend, Luke, and his family. I had to come here to get something for your mum”

Ashton jumps out of the car and runs inside the large farmhouse, leaving Michael and I alone. It was silent, but it was a comfortable silence. Ashton comes out a few seconds later followed by an incredibly attractive boy with blond hair and the most incredible blue eyes. The boy catches me starring while he was talking to Ashton. I looked down quickly. Michael chuckles from behind me.

“That's Luke, if you were wondering.” He tells me, “He's not too friendly around new people.”

Ashton runs back to the still running car and Luke goes back inside.

“Okay, lets gooooo.” Ashton announces. 

We pulled out of the driveway and drove for a few more minutes along the dirt road. I notice a car following us. We pulled into the house I'd seen so many times, but had never actually been in.

It was huge, three stories, and it was painted a sky blue color. I jump out of the car, using Michael's shoulder to steady myself. I see Luke get out of the car that had followed us. He walks up the front door and walks inside, glarring at me the whole time. I look over at Ashton, who was getting my stuff out of the back of his car. Michael was already carrying my guitar inside the house. Ashton start to make his way up the steps and yells back to me:

“You comin'” 

I sigh and prepare myself for what was ahead. This was going to be awkward. I muster up as much confidence as I could (Which wasn't much) and run up the steps to meet Ashton. He smiles and puts a comforting hand on my back.