ChApTeR 15

ცųɬƈɧ

"How much longer?" I whine, bowing my head back to look at the crystal clear sky. Two birds fly above, twisting and diving. Having fun.

"Sooner if you shut up," Buttercup says not even bothering to turn around.

"I miss my brothers, when can I see them again?" I ask again, bowing forward. Buttercup sighs in annoyance and keeps going. "Hello? Gunna answer my question?"

"You won't be able to see them again of you don't shut up!" she yells, throwing her hands up. She glances over her shoulder with a hateful glare.

"Was that a threat?" I push. All the tall blades of grass from the plains had been replaced by short grass and trees as if god had mowed over it.

"It could be," she says, her voice weary. We had been traveling a long time, sure, but messing with her felt right.

"So you could kill me?" I ask, nodding my head in interest. Buttercup snorts in disgust at me.

"I could," she agrees. I nod again feeling a lot like Brick. God I need humanity.

"What happened to 'he's as good as me'?" I ask, mimicking what she said to Lina. Instead of getting red like I expected she laughs.

"You are, but trust me I'm better," She says, glancing her eyes at me again.

"Prove it," I say, using Lina's strict face. Buttercup snorts and slows her pace do she's next to me. It's the first time I actually notice how much smaller she is than me. "Green, how old are you?"

She stops smiling and looks down, her fingers subconsciously pulling down her shirt. "well Mojo let us go when we were thirteen and that was...three years ago?"

"You're sixteen?" I gasp. I was eighteen, how could I have not noticed?

"About," she nods as if it's no big deal. "Time is quicker out here than in there."

"I see," I agree, looking back towards the rising sun. Only an hour or two before we had left and it was pitch black.

"What about you green bean, how old are you?" she asks, folding her arms.

"I'm eighteen, two years older," I say with a smirk. Buttercup sneers at me but is smiling.

"I can do math you moron," she laughs, punching my shoulder. I smile and lightly bump her, making her skid left. She laughs and bumps me. We continue to bump each other until I bump her, pushing her over.

"Ah, sorry," I apologize, holding out my hand for her. She leans up slightly and grabs it, tugging me down next to her. I flip onto the soft grass next to her and smile at her. "Jerk."

"Moron," she counters, smiling.

"Butterbutt."

"B*tch."

"It's bakka you moron."

"Yeah, yeah...Fido," she smiles at me, her green eyes alighting with joy.

"Fido?" I ask. It sounded strangely familiar, I just couldn't place from where.

"Uh, yeah. You know, you follow me like a dog. And Butch is a dogs name," she nods and I know she's lying.

"Butch is not a dogs name," I frown and she laughs. It was like beautiful sound waves coming off her body, dancing along the plains. It was beautiful...she was beautiful.

A small breeze comes, blowing her hair into her face and she sits up, moving it away and laughing. I sit up as well and once the breeze has cleared I look into her green eyes.

My hands move without thinking and soon enough I have hers tightly within my own. She looks down at it and back at me, fear ripping apart the Joy. She snatches her hand away and I open my mouth to apologize but she stands up, turning away from me.

"We should get some food or we'll be dead by the time Mojo finds us," she insists, looking out to the horizon. I slowly nod my head and get to my feet. If I regretted anything in my life, this just shoved it right out of my mind.

B༙u༙t༙t༙e༙r༙c༙u༙p༙

I turn away from him. I can't believe he just...how could...why?!

"We should get some food or we'll be dead by the time Mojo finds us," I say, making my voice low to hide emotion. Why, why, why?

I take a deep breath and turn towards the horizon. He didn't know about our past mistakes...or did he? He stopped calling me green and he told me he would die for me like he did all that time ago. Did he?

"These trees should have some fruit, it's probably summer right?" he asks, coming next to me. His aroma of the forest covers me and I side step away from him.

"Right, I'll get it," I murmur going towards the tree. I loop my arm over the tow hanging branch and easily pull myself up onto it. I can't help but smile as I imagine Blossom or Bubbles doing it. Bubbles would high jump into the leaves and Blossom would jump from limb to limb like a freaking animal.

I roll my eyes and hide my smile, climbing up a few more branches. "See anything?"

"Notta," I yell back, going for a branch. My fingers skim the edge and suddenly the branch under me and I fall onto another branch, groaning in pain.

"Are you okay?" Butch calls, worry lacing his voice. His head appears at the trunk and I nod, slowly getting to my feet. I glare upwards and my eyes catch on something red.

"I found one!" I say happily, my stomach rumbling on happiness. Butch laughs and I start to climb up towards the fruit. I'm just within arms length when something silver grabs my arm and throws me off. I scream and land on something hard. Butch.

"Oww!" he hisses. I roll off him and two things drop to the ground. I look at them and gasp. "What the hell are they?"

There was a boy that looked exactly like Butch but younger, maybe 15. The girl next to him, a mini me, looked to be about 13.

"They're us," I manage before they advance.