ChApTeR 10

ᗷOOᗰEᖇ
"what will happen? Where are my brothers?" I ask. Blue looks up at the sun and sighs.

"I don't know, Boomer. I'm sorry," she bows her head towards the sand and I feel my stomach jump.

"How do you know my name? I say slowly. I watch as her shoulders twitch nervously and she clamps and unclamps her hand. She was dealing with anger, I had seen it happen to someone else, I just couldn't remember who.

"You have to run, Boomer. There's nothing left here for you," the young girl's back was turned for me but I could see the sky blue dress and golden hair.

"Yes there is," I say, my young voice squeaking. The girl's fist closed and opened as she restrained herself from punching me.

"No there isn't," she hisses, her voice stuff with anger. I took a step forward and rested my hand on her shoulder, causing her to jump.

"There's you," I reminded her. She stiffened under my fingers and then jerked her shoulder away, turning sharply on a heel towards me. I wanted to stumble back as I stared into familiar sharp blue gray eyes, but my young self just stood still.

"I won't be here! He's failing us!" She yells. I knew what failing was, it was ending the project. Her project.

"He can't!" Young me protests but she pushed past me. I turned to look at her but her back was to me again. "You can't."

"And you can't stay here. You have to leave," she says quietly, folding her hands over her arms.

"I won't! Not without you!" I say. Blue stiffens and turns to me. "I love you."

"Stop playing the hero, Boomer. This isn't a fairytale! This is real life! In real life people can die. I can die, and so can you. You don't know what love is, and because I care for you I want you to find out," she tells me. This time I stumble a few steps back and Blue begins to cry. "Go, Boomer. Find her."

"Bubbles," I reach for her but she was gone.

I fell back into my butt and jumped away from the hot sand. Blue was watching me with such intensity I felt that she was burning holes in me. I look up at her and catch my breath. The same vicious look, the same commanding aura, the same beautiful eyes.

"It's you," I say quietly before I fall back into the sand. "It's you."
___________________________
When I regained my mind I felt cool, the heat was gone but yet it was still there.

Something cool touches my cheek and I force myself to not move. The coolness moves over my forehead until all my face is hidden from the heat.

I crack open one eye to see Blue's face. Gently I grab her wrist and she stops her hand. She looks down at me, but instead of a smile her frown deepens. I release my grip and prop my self up on my elbows, hiding the pain.

"You need to lay down," Blue says, grabbing my atm, then pulling away. I shake my head and manage to sit up.

"You need to explain," I say, staring intently at her. I don't know how I couldn't see it from before. Her golden hair, the blue, the everything! I used to think she was my best friend, and I couldn't even recognize her.

"There is nothing to explain," she says, turning her head away.

"Yes there is," I grabbed her arm and she looked at me. "You knew we were already made. Why did you say you came to retrieve a chemical that didn't exist?"

She looks away and sucks in a breath. "We needed to see if Mojo lived up to his promise," she whispers.

"What promise?" I ask. She stays quiet and I grab her chin. For a minute I look into her beautiful wet eyes and then they harden. She had exposed something she didn't mean too.

"It doesn't matter, he lived up to it. It was our time to take you away," she says, removing her chin from my grip.

"You were never going to extract our powers?" I ask, but again Blue shakes her head. I raise my eyebrow and everything clicks.

"You stole us to sell us?" I reply angrily. Blue has tears pouring down her cheeks, but she didn't deny it. "I thought you were my friend, I guess I was wrong." I got up and started to walk away.

"Boomer!" she yells and my feet hit the sand running.