Part 37

"Dhak dhak, dhak dhak," the world seemed to go still and she felt a breeze while all were sat having tea in the evening. "Arnav ji" whispered Khushi, but then realised all were giving her blank stares. Shaking her head to come out of her reverie, she stood up, when they heard the door bell. "Not again" thought Khushi, she knew who it was.

 Opening the door, giving him a shy smile, she felt a bit conscious as she was in typical western clothes and ASR refused to take his eye off her and whispered "Khushi..". He was soon interrupted when he heard a loud "Who is it Khushi..". Priti was calling out..

It was no surprise to Khushi, but to some others definitely surprise of surprises, seeing ASR again the next day and also again staying over for dinner! It did not go unnoticed as odd by Kushal, kunaal and Priti why ASR was making such frequent visits to their house.

 And now, on top of all that, he was even offering to take Khushi out for sight seeing as well. It also did not go unnoticed by Kushal that a certain Khushi had gone extra chirpy and bubbly since 2 days.. Lets all play along, he thought and find out what it was!!

"Oh I will not go anywhere Baba, I will go sight seeing next time. Please." Pleaded Khushi.. How could she agree to go with ASR?

Kushal tried again, "Khushi, you know I wanted to take you this weekend, but some problem has just cropped up and I cant leave the team to fix it on their own, ASR is suggesting he is free this weekend, so why not!! You did not go with Priti and Kunaal, atleast go with ASR.."

Khushi muttered under her breath , "Oh yes he will always be free to shout at me,.." while ASR gave a "What the" look, Kushal opened his eyes wide and said "Khushi" .

Priti interfered, "Let it be Kushal, she will go with her husband or boyfriend, why Khushi, is that why you are refusing? Tell me about your boy friend then!!!"

"What the.." exclaimed ASR, probably a little loud for the others to give him a blank look, but soon priti probed Khushi, "Go on Khushi, tell us tell us"

Seeing ASR's gobsmacked face Khushi wanted to have some fun, "Oh Priti didi, whom should I talk about? Actually I have a few!!" she said pretending to be ever so shy.

"Arre, khushi, you are shy, but you are more ahead than we thought, go on, start with the one you like the most then" priti chirped..

Khushi started "Ok, I will just say a few,.. I have Dilip who does not fail to bring a flower for me every time we see, and mind you I have to adorn my hair with it. Then there is Varsh who always kisses me before leaving other than stealing more kisses at other times of course, then I have Viren who always insists on dancing with me, you know like your Strictly come dancing type.." She kept stealing glances at the great ASR whose expressions were giving away "What the Khushi Kumari Gupta"

She was interrupted by Kushal "Khushi, majak chodo (stop joking), tell them who they are. Priti, I know all these boyfriends"

Khushi was laughing "Priti didi, Dilip and Varsh used to come for tuition, they are 8 years, and I was teaching Viren dance, he is in college though, eh , a big boy!!"

After having a hearty laugh, finally Priti declared, "Don't worry Khushi, now that Payals wedding is also fixed, you are next. Soon I will fix up an alliance for you, then you can go sight seeing all over the world. What say Kunaal, I think I also know someone!! Do you know Kunaal?" she winked at Kunaal..

"Yes yes we will do that," both Kunaal and Kushal echoed.

Khushi now felt a bit restless as she knew Priti meant Karan. ASR looked blank at Khushi, while Khushi too looked at him. No words were spoken

Later, when ASR finally said, "er,, I think, I should make a move now", Khushi was only too eager and said, "Bye" but only to be told by Kunaal, "Khushi, please drop him off and close the door behind!! "

Seizing the only moment he could get with her, he said huskily, "Why Khushi are you afraid of going out with me?"

"Afraid", Khushi said a bit louder than a whisper, "Why should I be? Sir, You know I can never get to your status, I will always be a middle class girl. I don't think it will look good for both of us to give out wrong signals. I know it does not mean anything to you, but I don't want to hear anything from anybody else either. Its best to stay away from each other. Good Night."

Arnav immediately came close to her, holding her shoulders, whispered, "Khushi, I did not mean any of it,.. please try to understand damn it", as if hypnotised by her eyes, holding her more firmly, he continued, "Not this time, not any time Khushi, never. I never wanted to see tears in your eyes.. I never meant anything I told."

Khushi stood staring at him. His closeness, his touch, his words had frozen her. When she did not respond, he loosened his grip, but seeing her stumble back, he held her again. Both stared at each other. No words were said, but their intense eyes conveyed all emotions unspoken. Then Arnav stuttered a quick "Sor Sor sorry " and left.

Khushi was having mixed feelings. Now she knew, this man had successfully meddled her heart and brain. Khushi vowed she would not see him again in London and true to her words, she kept her distance through out. Try as she might, she could not get him out of her mind. She realised, however sad though, that it was impossible for her to not think of him. "Devi Maiyya please help me, I don't know why I feel like this for him.." she prayed silently.

Recalling his earlier thoughts, "Yes that's right, once I apologise, , no more sleepless nights for me. You have been disturbing me too much Khushi , I can get back to my normal life,.." Arnav went to sleep. And true to his words too, he felt better. Much lighter and yes slept well too. However, it was not sleepless nights, but a sleep full of dreams of a certain angel who fell into his arms one fine day. Normal life eh. He mused..

**************************************************

Back at the Gupta house, Garima and Buaji were not very happy with Payal going out with Akash every day. But what could they do other than to say, "Aaj kal ke nujawan.. (Todays generation)". 

Akash was slow but still patient with Payal , who was also trying her best to come out of her shell. Since Khushi had banned them from doing any shopping for the wedding until she comes, nothing was happening, and Kushal too had told his Babuji very strictly that the wedding would happen how he wanted. He wanted full control of his sister's wedding..

At RM, there was an excited Anjali. "Nani I could not believe it when Aman told me. In fact even Lavanya was indicating, but I had turned blind,. And when Payal called, she told me ASR had gone to visit Kushal again and stayed over for dinner as well. It is so wonderful Nani, my (stubborn/grumpy) khadoos Chote and sweet Khushi ji? " Anjali was talking all animatedly to her Nani. She often slept with her Nani every now and then and it was nice listening to stories Nani narrated.. She was getting back her childhood..

"Anjali Bitiya, this has been going on from a very long time. How chote makes silly reasons to be with her or call her, then playing with her, coming for pooja when she calls. You saw that day how Khushi bitiya went shy, don't know what he whispered in her ears (Episode 31). I have also seen chote pull pranks on Khushi bitiya, where he kept blocking her way to annoy her (Episode 22). That day he looked just like my Chote of 10 years trying to pull pranks on all of us. Now he is changed though. I am only afraid he does not end up hurting the girl. She may not show to the outside world, but she is too emotional. Anyway she will be here tomorrow, we need get the wedding preparations started. Very few days for the engagement. I hope she has had a good time with her brother.."

Anajli getting more excited replied, "Yes Nani, I am waiting. "

Thanks all for the votes and comments..