Part 21

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments and votes

Here is the next chapter

Next day morning ASR came in early, to catch Khushi alone and apologise. Well, after all the practicing through out the night, it should be damn easy, well at least he thought. However Khushi was not to be seen, and having lost his patience nearing lunch time, called his di, "Di, send Khushi to my cabin"

"Khushi hasn't come Chote. You want to discuss something, shall I come?"

Concern taking over him and without thinking, he asked, "Di, what happened to Khushi, is she ok? Is she not well? Is it like the headache she had earlier,..". Hearing Chote and a gasp from the other end, he stopped realising he was probably asking a bit er well too many questions!!

"Chote, both Payal and Khushi have gone to Lucknow", hearing her mobile ring she said "Chote I will you soon, I need to take this call"

Soon he was on another call!! "Akash, what's happening, why have Khushi and Payal not come? What do they think, they can take holiday whenever they please??"

"Bhai, relax. Their entire family has gone, their parents and their buaji. They had some important work"

"What's more important than their work Akash, you should have checked with me before granting them leave" He knew he was being unreasonable to Akash, but how could Khushi take off just when he had prepared so much and he desperately wanted to see her!!

Burdened with all the recent happening, Akash for once lost a little bit of patience. Well only a little bit, because, being as polite as ever he replied, "Bhai, there are other things in life that are more important. Like Khushi's parents barsi (death anniversary). Ok bhai, we will talk later." He hung the phone immediately.

Shock was an understatement. Khushi's parents death anniversary? Is she an orphan? Khushi's image of crying in the car kept playing in his head. Oh my what have I done, what have I done. Why cant I control myself in front of her, why does it always happen with her? He felt more remorse thinking of all the insults he had hurled at her about her status and class. "Oh Khushi I am so so sorry"

For once ASR could not concentrate on his work and he took his day off. Very few times he had visited his mums garden in recent years, but today he was disturbed. Oh ma he shouted. what had he done to that girl? Why did she wind him so much? What surprised him though was still, how much life she had in her. She had never once complained about anything. Took up all his challenges with full of vigour. He realised, he was never angry at loosing all his challenges but felt a sense of pride. Finally he came to the decision, I will apologise and try and not come in front of her. The more we interact, the more we rub onto each other, best to keep away. Well, if only that was Devi Maiyyas wish as well!!!

The Guptas were a happy bunch returning to Lucknow. Though vary of Khushi's safety, they gathered enough courage, only not to miss what Khushi has been doing since she was a little girl. Also having left Lucknow in a hurry, Shashi wanted to sort out the pending businesses. Their only asset, Gomti sadan (The Gupta residence in Lucknow) had been rented except the top floor which had all their belongings The sweet shop had been leased and taken care of. They were grateful to their neighbour Preeto for looking after it while they were away.

The three days flew by in a blur of activities. The visit was extremely nostalgic for the entire family. Khushi and Payal met all their chachas and chachis and gathered enough blessings to keep until they returned again.

How happy they were in their small simple world until a storm in the name of ASR had hit them and life had taken a completely new path from which there was no turning back. What began as a temporary measure for their safety, their lives were now, sort of settled in Delhi, opening a new world for the small town girls. They did feel like frogs from a well sometimes!!

Three days of separation had indeed felt like three months for ASR. He had got used to seeing Khushi everyday. He was too impatient to lay his eyes on her. However Khushi had other plans. Once back in Delhi and returning to work, she too had decided not to go in front of ASR. She would find out his schedule and make sure she was out of his reach. She deliberately arranged outdoor visits during meetings and convinced Anjali and Payal to manage the rest. Oh how carefully she laid out her plans, she thought, Devi maiyya now you are in my team,....

But for how long was Devi Maiyya going to side her??

"Akash Ji you have to do this, the earlier the better. Remember Shyam is in our house now. And this is the right time to get Anjali ji on board." sitting in the same cafe, Payal spoke a bit firmly annoyed with his slow pace at moving things forward.

The QDs restaurant had become a regular for the two to discuss the whereabouts of Shyam. Akash and Payal seemed to have come up with some sort of a plan, but Akash wanted to give it a good thinking before doing something drastic. Akash got to see how even a silent and shy Payal can be strong when it was a matter of family.

"Akash ji, Shyam is now working from our house. So, you will have to take Anjali ji to court on some pretext and sow the seeds of doubt in her, just the way how you went through this. I have a strong feeling that Babuji knows something about Shyam, cause yesterday he was hinting subtly to Shyam about making alternate accommodation arrangements as it was not very wise to have a male PG in a house with two young girls. Our buaji is in a bit of a shock, don't know what spell he has cast on her !!"

"Really Payal ji, Is that what your Babuji has told. May be you are right, he might know. Why dont we ask him for help? You know how Di is, her affection for Shyam is quite severe, I must say, it borders obsession. It is quite unhealthy, but what are we to do. Having lost her parents at young age, he was her only source of emotional support, and hence she clings on to him, oh how my blood boils now!" Akash put forward his thoughts. He was quite used to sharing his personal views with Payal, though of course he had not the courage to say his feelings for her yet!! In fact he was more sure of his feelings for her than he was ever before and he knew he would face anything win her.

"Akash ji, if you have noticed, Anjali ji used to be like that, I think Devi maiyya has shown her the right path in making her choose to do work now. Having worked with her for last few months, I have experienced how strong she can be. Anjali ji can be another ASR if she needs be, you know that. She has grown into a strong confident woman. Also, we are not showing her all the proofs, papers and asking her to believe us. Let her get to it, let her do some investigation, because, end of the day, she will believe in herself more than any of us. Our only job is to sow the seeds and make sure she is out of danger all the time.. "

She continued "As far as taking help from babuji, I have no problem, I am only concerned about his health.. weather he will be able to bear all this.."

"Ok Payal ji, I will take her out on a visit tomorrow and lunch time may be pop in to court and see if Shyam is there. You can call and tell me if he has any change of plans." agreed Akash. "Also we need to think of getting Bhai into this, we cant keep him in the dark for long. He has been acting so weird of late, he is more aggrieved recently. "

On the other hand, Devi Maiyya was itching to change her sides!! She couldn't see Arnav being so desperate!! Poor Arnav, it had been more than a week, oh how he missed Khushi. He did deny it in the beginning, but now, he knew, there was no denial, he had to see her. All his well practiced apologies were a distant memory and he was annoyed at her!! Well how dare she ignore me!!! She has been avoiding me deliberately!! How dare she! 

Thats it for now, Hope you liked it. Please comment/vote