For Sure

CHAPTER 17

>>MARCO'S POV<<

Jean was driving us to his house which wasn't too far away. I noticed his hands shaking a bit as he steered. I frowned and laid a hand on his shoulder.

"It's alright Jean, she's your mother. She will understand." I assured my nervous friend.

"You don't get it, my dad walked out on me and my mom just because he THOUGHT I was gay... He never KNEW completely." Jean looked at me for a second then back to the road. "What if my mom kicks me out and tells me something like, 'Never come back!'?"

"Mothers are understanding and love their children Jean. I highly doubt she will kick you out for all eternity. And in case you forgot, my dad left my family too...." I slipped my hand off of my friend's shoulder.

Jean bowed his head and frowned. "She's not gonna be happy..." He whispered.

"That doesn't mean she's gonna hate you. Anger and hate are two completely different things Jean."

"I know but... I hate it when she's mad... I'm just... Scared. Weren't you scared when you told your parents you were gay?"

I looked at Jean then bowed my head. "It wasn't me that told them... It was them who told me..." I whispered. "I was twelve... My mom sat me down by the kitchen table with her, and my dad. The first thing that happened was my mom saying, 'Marco honey, you are different then most boys' and then my dad following up, 'You need to change.'"

"Marco..." Jean whispered.

"My mom told my dad I didn't have to change and that I was just special in my own way. My father didn't like it so they kept screaming at each other. I was so scared for my parents and wasn't sure what this talk was exactly about so I calmly asked them, 'What makes me so different?'" I sighed and looked out the window beside me. I hated remembering that depressing memory.

I choked down my tears and refused to look away from the window. "And that was when my mom told me I was... Gay..."

"What about your dad?" Jean asked.

"He left the next week. He thought I could change, but after he found out I couldn't, he left my family for good. My mom and Mikaela chose to accept me and now are ok with me being gay. But the point is, even if your mom isn't pleased with it right away, I'm positive she will accept it over time."

"What if she isn't like your mom and doesn't learn to live with it?" Jean asked. "What do I do then."

"You could live with me, my mom, and Mikaela but I know for a fact she will eventually learn to accept it. It might be a few minutes or hours, it could be a few days or months, or it could even be years before she really accepts it. But she will eventually..." I took my gaze off the window and looked to Jean who's cheeks glistened and looked a bit damp. He must have been crying.

"If you say so... I told you before, I trust you..." Jean said softly.

I had a strong feeling that - even if he doesn't think so - his mother would understand.

>>JEAN'S POV<<

It had been a few hours till we reached the town I used to live in before I went to that art college. It hadn't changed a bit. All the kids playing street hockey, skateboarding, riding bikes, playing with sidewalk chalk... Nothing changed.

I drove through town, just to see all the things I missed, but also because I was trying to stall. Marco was asleep so he wouldn't know. I just really didn't want to see my mother, fearing she'd hate me. I knew Marco said she wouldn't, but how would he know for sure?

"Hey Jean, where do you live? Are we there yet?" Marco asked as he rubbed his eyes and yawned.

"Oh! Um... Almost..." I said as I drove my car around, searching for my street, now Marco was awake.

"Cool..." Marco said in a tired tone of voice. "I can't wait to get there..."

I laughed at how cute Marco was when he was half awake and half asleep. I just had to kiss him so I quickly leaned over and kissed his forehead. "Come on and wake up you sleepy head." I said with a smirk. "We're... We're here..."