Realizations...

CHAPTER 9

"I'll have chocolate chip cookie dough, double scoop, and a waffle cone... with some M&M's on top. and for my buddy, the same ice cream and everything but instead of M&M's, give him sprinkles." just then Marco blushed and muttered my name under his breath. "Lots of sprinkles." I added. "A sprinkle for every freckle on his face!" I teased.

The lady at the counter smiled and giggled. "So cute..." She whispered as she scooped Marco's ice cream into a cone. Marco and I watched as the lady put a bunch of sprinkles on the top and handed it to Marco.

"Here's your cone for your boyfriend." The lady smiled at me. "You're such a cute couple..."

"We aren't... Um... Dating..." Marco said quietly as he grabbed the cone. "We're just friends... Right Jean?" Marco asked, his face bright and cheerful.

"Uh... Yeah!" I said faking a smile. "Of coarse... We aren't... You know... Gay..." I said as I looked to the ground and shuffled my feet. I dug my hands into my pockets.

"Yeah..." Marco whispered.

"Oh, sorry for the mix up, it's just... You two seemed like a couple... I'm sorry..." The lady said as she quickly made my ice cream cone and handed it to me. "Again, I am terribly sorry!"

"It's fine." Marco and I said in sync. We both began to laugh as we looked at each other.

"Well have a good day!" The lady said as she waved us goodbye.

"You too." Marco said cheerfully.

"Yep." I added, walking out of the store with Marco... I loved Marco, but I knew he didn't love me the same way... Besides, if he found out I loved him, and he didn't love me, we would have some real problems.

Marco and I walked down the street, hand in hand. Marco would tell a joke and I would laugh. He was really funny, and cool... I couldn't help but blush when he did something funny.

Marco told the dumbest jokes, but when he said them, he was o cute I just had to laugh. He would tell me this joke that made no sense at all and I almost bursted into tears laughing...

"Ok so if it takes a chicken to lay and egg and a half in a day and a half, how long does it take a monkey, with a peg leg, to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?" Marco asked me as he licked a bunch of sprinkles off from the top of his cone.

"Um..." I smiled at him. I wondered if the answer was obvious and I was just over looking it. Just then, an answer popped in my head. "A pickle has no seeds!" I said and licked a few m&m's off my ice cream.

"No, a vest has no sleeves!" Marco said as he licked his ice cream cone.

I began laughing so hard even though I didn't get it, and the fact that It didn't make any sense. "I don't get it!" I managed to say.

"That's the point, you're not supposed to!" Marco said with a huge grin. "Do you know any good jokes Jean?" Marco asked tightening his grip on my hand.

"Not really." I said, licking my ice cream.

"Not even one?" Marco asked, his eyes large and his freckles bright on his face.

"Alright, let me think of one...." I said as I thought for a moment. "Um... Why did the chicken cross the road...?" I looked to Marco who let out a single chuckle.

"Come on Jean, you can think of a better one!"

I growled. "I don't know any good jokes!"

"Then you can make one up." Marco mused. "Just try and make one up yourself."