Two "Friends" Out to Eat

CHAPTER 4

Jean pulled into the parking lot after about a fifteen minute drive. We both stepped out of the car and walked into the Italian restaurant. Jean lead the way to a two person booth by a large window and followed. we took our coats off and hung them up on the rack by the chairs. I took out a menu that was set at our table and looked through the several options.

"I'm getting spaghetti and meatballs with a mozzarella stick appetizer and for dessert if I'm hungry yet, I will get pistachio ice cream." Jean said as he set his menu down. "and a coke."

"hmm...." I kept examining the menu. The tortellini looks good... I think I will get a small salad and tortellini... or ravioli!" I laughed and Jean joined in. Just then I heard a familiar voice.

"Hello, I'm Sasha and I will be your waitress for this evening." my good friend Sasha Braus said as she stood by our booth.

"Sasha!" I exclaimed as I looked at her.

"On hey Marco!" she said with a bright expression on her face.

"Didn't you work somewhere else?" I asked her.

"Yeah , but I got fired for eating potatoes off customers' plates before they ate... and I may have asked some lady if she was gonna finish her fries and then ate them..." Sasha said with a smile. "So who's this guy here with you today Marco?"

"This is my friend and new roommate, Jean Kirstien. Jean, this is my good friend Sasha Braus." I introduced my two friends.

"Hey..." Jean said a bit shyly.

"Hello, I used to go to school with Marco." Sasha said as she smiled at Jean. She then turned and winked at me. Sasha was my only friend... that knew I was... well, gay... she then crouched down and held a hand to my ear so Jean couldn't hear. "You two are a cute couple." Sasha whispered in my ear.

My face reddened and I feared Jean would notice. I then turned to Sasha and muttered, "Sasha, he's just a friend... besides.... I'm pretty sure he's straight."

"Oh..." Sasha said as she straightened up. "Well, you gentlemen ready to order?"

"Yeah." Jean coughed to clear his throat. "I will have a coke, the spaghetti, and then some mozzarella sticks for an appetizer." Jean told Sasha. "And as for my friend Marco here, he will have a salad and ravioli."

"What dressing?" Sasha asked as she wrote down the order on her notepad.

"Ranch." I answered. "And I will have a coke too."

"Sasha, did you write the specials for today on the board yet?" Another familiar voice chimed in after I finished ordering.

"No, not yet. Could you do it Connie? I'm with two customers right now." Sasha said as Connie ran up to us.

"OK." Connie said and then looked at me and Jean. "Oh! Hey Marco! I didn't see you come in!" Connie chuckled. "Who's your friend?"

"Jean Kirstien." Jean said as he sagged down with his hands folded on the table top. "I am Marco's new roommate."

"Nice meeting you Jean! I'm Connie, a good friend of Marco's." Connie said shaking hands with Jean. "I better go take care of that specials board now... Nice seeing you Marco, and nice meeting you Jean!" Connie hollered as he turned and sprinted over to the front of the restaurant, out of sight.

"OK... I will be back with drinks soon." Sasha said as she put her notepad in her apron. "If you guys need anything, just ask... And nice meeting you Jean!" Sasha beamed at us and then left.

I watched her and smiled. "You have a crush on her don't you..." Jean snickered.

"What!?" I said louder than intended. "She is just a friend. I would never date her! Besides, she's not my type." I said, covering up my secret.

"What is your type then?" Jean asked with a smug grin.

I turned pale, not knowing how to respond. "Well... artistic, strong, protective, family kind of person, kind, and someone who accepts my life choices." I said wording it carefully.

"I see." Jean said as he sat there a moment. "I like someone with artistic talent too, who's a good cuddler, movie type of person, good cook and cleaner... and freckles... I find freckles very attractive." Jean said his cheeks looking a bit pink.

I let out a laugh. "Man, those are good qualities in a girl."

Jean just sat there staring at his hands and nodded slightly, not saying a word, but after about a minute he spoke. "A girl... sure..." His voice was quiet. I also could of sworn I heard him mumble under his breath, "And guys too..." but I wasn't sure. My thoughts were interrupted when Sasha showed up with our drinks.

>>JEAN'S POV<<

Sasha returned with our food and told us if we needed her to just ask. I nodded my head and took a sip of my coke. Marco had gotten his salad, and I had gotten my mozzarella sticks with that tomato sauce it comes with. I don't know why, but I just felt kind of sick to my stomach. I shook the weird feeling away and took a stick and dipped it in the sauce.

"You want one Marco?" I asked before I put the piece I had in my mouth.

"Nah, I usually have a salad for an appetizer. I try not to eat too many carbs." Marco said as he shoved a fork full of salad in his mouth. "I try to eat somewhat healthy."

I chuckled. "I see." I had a fast metabolism and didn't really need to watch what I ate. That's why I'm as skinny as I am considering I eat a bit.

"So how are you liking the college?" Marco asked as he finished off his salad.

"Alright..." I said as I ate another mozzarella stick. "The classes are very boring, and there's this one guy I just absolutely hate now." I then groaned. "Such a dick! I swear he hates me just because he can!"

Marco laughed. "Well that sounds terrible!"

"Yeah..." I muttered. "Other than that, school was ok." I looked at Marco "Did I mention my roommate? Gosh he is quite the cook..." That made Marco blush and laugh so hard.

"Here ya go!" Sasha said as she dropped off our food. "Enjoy!" She then walked off back into the kitchen.

I looked at my spaghetti, but I didn't feel hungry anymore. I just wanted to go home. I watched Marco who began eating his ravioli neat and tidy. I chuckled to myself and tried to eat as much as I could. There was a long silence when suddenly Marco's phone vibrated. "Who's that?" I asked.

"My little sister Mikaela, she's around 15 years old. She always texts me to see what I'm up to... You don't mind if I text her back real quick, do you?" Marco said as he took out his phone.

"Nah, it's cool. Go ahead."

Marco then began texting his sister back. "She just wants to make sure I stay out of trouble while I am at college, ya know?" I nodded my head. "Do you have any siblings Jean?"

This time, I shook my head. "I'm an only child." I replied. "And I lived at my mom's till now. My parents got a divorce around my 14th birthday and my mom gained full custody of me. My father... never liked me because I was.... different. My mom however was a bit kinder and didn't care."

Marco nodded his head as he put his phone away. "I lived with my mom too. My dad left after I told him.... I wanted to be an artist. I really wanted to be an interior designer, but I didn't know how to pick out furniture so I'm just an artist. He thought I was too feminine of son because I liked art and he didn't agree with my choices either. My mom did though and supported it all. My dad found that unacceptable and left... So then it was just me, Mikaela, and my mom."

"Sorry to hear that." I told Marco as I wrapped my fork in spaghetti. After several minutes of talking and eating we were finally finished. Sasha came around with our bill. Marco and I didn't spend too much, and I wasn't too upset with the cost. I took out my wallet and paid for the meal, while Marco got out his wallet and left a tip. Marco and I then got up and left to get in the car.

When we walked outside it was raining. "Oh no! It's raining!" He chuckled as he pulled his jacket over his head. I couldn't help but to laugh along. We quickly ran to the car and got in to avoid the rain. I started the car and began pulling out when Marco spoke. "I'm glad we went out for food." He smiled at me. "It was fun."

I returned his smile as we drove off. "Me too..."