Chapter 15

CHAPTER 15

Steff

I rolled the long stem of the white rose along my thumb and index finger.

            I stood on the memorial’s lawn, bowing my head and listening as the priest blessed a coffin. “Let his memories remain in our hearts and may the Lord God embrace this man’s soul for all eternity.” The priest then sprinkled holy water on the white coffin as two people put him down slowly towards his last journey.

I looked at my right. Luna was holding a white rose like I did. She wrinkled her nose and pinched the bridge of it.

“The family may now give their blessing and final good bye,” said the priest.

            A woman who was about in mid-thirties was holding the hand of a girl whose age was eight years old. A tear fell from the woman’s eyes as she and her daughter threw their roses down to his coffin.

            Justin, Rio and Jessie stepped forward and acted likewise. They were wearing black suits which made them look more handsome and formal than ever. I turned my head around and saw a mass of media pointing their cameras at us outside the memorial’s gate. They were not allowed to cover the burial for privacy, considering the fact that it was the requested personally by the family.

            I frowned and turned my head back to the ceremony. I felt someone grip my hands. I looked at the person beside me. “Let’s go,” he said in a low voice.

            I nodded and we both stepped forward. He threw his rose first. I breathed deeply before I threw mine. He intertwined his fingers with mine. My heart skipped when he did that little gesture of comfort.

The ceremony ended. I walked away from the grave with this person beside me who was still holding my hand. “You look so worried,” he said.

            I looked at him and smiled. “I’m just thinking about something.”

He stopped. “What is it?”

            I breathed. I stepped closer to him and grabbed his other hand. I looked down to our intertwined fingers. I smiled at the thought that they fit to each other perfectly.

            “I’m just thinking that... It was too close. I mean two months ago. You could have had the same fate as what your manager had,” I said in a half-silent voice.

            I felt him squeeze my hands. He put his hand under my chin and looked at me directly in the eyes. “You know that I’ll never leave you.”

            Tears burnt behind my eyes but none of them dared to fall. I smiled. I cupped my hands on both sides of his face and planted a kiss on his lips.

ж ж ж

His POV

Two months ago.

Darkness. Unending and swirling darkness.

Where am I? My voice echoed inside my head. I tried to speak but no sound came out from my mouth.It was as if all the sound was absorbed by the darkness, by an invisible barrier.

I tried to step but I felt nothing underneath my bare feet. Am I dead? I touched my chest.

            And felt nothing.

I ran. Turned my head around. Searching for a way out. Then a voice bounced from the wallas of darkness around me.

It was calling my name.

            I turned around to find where the voice was coming from. But out of nowhere, a blinding light boomed from every direction. My eyes automatically shut and my arm ran across them. When I opened my eyes, I saw a sea.

            I stared down at my feet. They were bare and under them was white sand. But why couldn’t I feel anything? Once again...

Where am I?

I looked at the sky And smiled as I saw the clouds’ funny forms. This place looked like a paradise–Blue, green, white and yellow all existed in harmony.

            I heard the voice again, saying my name like a beating pulse. But this time, I knew whose voice was calling me. Strangely, I felt something pound against my chest. My feet finally felt the rough sand under them.

“I love you, Kevin. Mahal na mahal kita, Babe.”

            At the same time the voice said that, rain poured from the sky, wetting everything under it. Including me. Then as fast as a blink of an eye, everything I could see crumpled like a sheet of paper. The vast ocean. The beautiful white sand. The soothing and refreshing moisture of the rain.

            They all vanished into nothingness.

And all I could feel was the softness behind my back, the heat spreading along my entire body, the small movement of my fingers, the calm beating against my chest...

            And the blurry figure of a girl crying in front of me as I opened my eyes slowly once again.