The box

It was Sunday afternoon, I sat at the table eating cereal and reading the box. Mom was standing in the kitchen and dad was sitting on the couch. Everyone was overly depressed, and quiet. It was lifeless and boring without Collins. I traveled upstairs to my room and opened my closet. There was a box that I never opened. But I felt like I should. I pulled down the box and sat on the ground. I took off the lid and I froze.... it was all of Collins's and my baby stuff, and really special things. I pulled out our favorite stuffed bears. Koogels was Collins's, and mine was Yoda. Then I saw a picture from when we were 6 and 4 years old.

I started crying but I was also smiling

I started crying but I was also smiling. I missed our happy family... I clutched the key that was around my neck "Collins I wish you were here..." I said while looking at the picture.

Flash back 13 years.
"Devan! do you wanna play Star Wars?!" Collins asked as a big smile spread across his face. "Oh you know I do" I said grabbing my lightsaber. We had a battle... Collins won. "Boys! Come get ready! We've got to get pictures made!" Mom called from inside. We ran inside laughing. We got our little suits and bow ties on and mom did our hair. We went outside and we stood by mom and dad took our picture. I didn't do a fake smile, my smile was real. Because I thought it was always going to be that way.... I remembered mom picking me up and swinging me around. And then Collins and I played tag afterwards....

Present time.
"Devan? Earth to Devan." Dad said. I was spaced out so I didn't notice him. He came over and shook me. I shook my head. "What huh" I was confused. I put my hands over my eyes so dad couldn't see my tears. He picked up the picture. He became really still and quiet. I looked over at him and tears were streaming down his face. "Why did you get this box down?" He demanded. "Dad I'm sorry, I just wanted to see what was inside." I could tell dad was angry but before he could saying anything else mom came running up the stairs shouting "STEVEN! STEVEN!!" "What?!" He asked running out of my room. She talked to dad and he gasped. I couldn't tell what they were saying. Mom was crying tears of joy I think. And dad was also crying. I didn't know what happened. It couldn't be about Collins, could it?