Chapter 9

We got home where I unloaded the groceries and prepared to make something to eat for Cassidee and me. I just ended up throwing in one of the Digornios cheese pizzas I bought and poured myself a glass of soda and a glass of apple juice for Cassidee. I stood at the counter, smiling and watching her as she drew away in a sketchpad Angelo had given to her the day before our last show. It amazed me at how she could be so happy and enjoy her life while being in the middle of so much confusion and havoc.

''What are you drawing there?" I smiled, walking over and sitting down at the table.

''You!" She exclaimed, keeping her focus on the paper. I scooted my chair closer to hers and rested my chin in my hand, smiling.

''Can I see when you're done?"

''Hold on. I just got to finish dis one part. All done!" She held up the paper to my face and I smiled, taking it from her grasp. Even though it was pretty much scribbles covered in black crayon I loved it.

''I love it! And you know what?'' I got up from my chair and walked over to the refrigerator. ''I'm going to hang it on the fridge for everyone to see.'' I placed it on the refrigerator and put a magnet on top to secure it.

A few hours later after we had eaten, Cassidee and I were just relaxing on the couch, watching some TV. I looked at my phone to check the time and saw that it was heading towards ten. I looked to my right and saw Cassidee's head nodding back and her eyes starting to droop.

''Come on. Let's get you to bed.'' I chuckled, picking her up and turning off the TV.

''I'm not sweepy.'' She yawned, rubbing her eyes.

''Really? Because that yawn says otherwise.'' I walked into my bedroom, turning on the light, and set her down on my bed. Pajamas? I remembered there was a pair of bottoms in her backpack, so I quickly went downstairs and came back into my room.

I smiled, chuckling to myself to see Cassidee already make herself comfortable in the bed. I walked over and lightly tapped her shoulder, causing her to stir.

''Let's put your PJs on.'' She stood up and raised her arms. I took her pink shirt off she'd been wearing for a few days and tossed it into the hamper. I went to put the clean purple shirt on her and gasped at what I saw.

Cassidee had four rather large, but fading purple bruises on her shoulders and around her neck. I held back from screaming and tears falling down my face. I carefully put the shirt on her and waited as she took off her pants.

''Oh my god,'' I whispered as I saw her thighs and legs were just as bad. This poor child was beaten! I'd love to know who was the cause of her bruises. Her mother or the boyfriend? Cassidee slipped on her pajama bottoms and crawled back into her spot. As soon as her head hit the pillow, she quickly drifted to sleep.

I walked into the bathroom, turning on the sink faucet, and splashed my face with cold water. I did it a few more times to keep myself calm and then dried my face off with a towel. I slipped off my jeans and put on a pair of sweats, turning off the light, and climbed into bed next to Cassidee.

I pulled her into my chest and cradled her, placing my chin on top of her head. Why would anyone have the audacity to harm their child or let someone else do it? I closed my eyes and bit down on my lip as a few tears fell down my face. Whatever it takes I'm going to protect this child with my life.