Chapter 4

An hour later I got up from the couch and walked back to my bunk to check on Cassidee, just to see if she was ok. I pulled back the curtain and saw that she was gone! I looked in the bunk underneath mine and saw nothing!

"Cassidee?!" I called as I walked towards the front of the bus. I was going completely insane! I ran further into the back, opening the bathroom door to see if Cassidee was in there. Nothing! I lost her! I fucking lost her!

"Chris?! CHRIS!" I opened my eyes to see that Ricky was hovering over me and giving me a strange look.

"What happened?" I sat up rubbing my face.

"You were talking in your sleep, dude. You kept repeating "Cassidee!, Cassidee!"

I quickly got up from the couch and ran back to my bunk pulling back the curtain and let out a sigh of relief when I saw that Cassidee was still asleep in the bed. I smiled down at her and ran my hand through her soft, brown hair.

She stirred in her sleep and opened her eyes, being taken back by my being there. Cassidee sat up, yawning, and looked around at her new surroundings.

"I didn't mean to wake you. Go back to sleep." I smiled.

"I can't sleep now." Oh, great! I woke the kid up and now she can't fall back asleep! Way to go, Chris!

"Why?"

"I was having a bad dream." I chuckled at her mispronounced word and crawled in the bunk, sliding her over a few inches.

"Well, if I lay here and we talk about this dream, maybe you can sleep again?"

"Okay."

I turned on my side, propping myself up on my elbow, smiling, and waited to hear all about Cassidee's dream.

"Well, I and Mommy were walking down a road."

"A road? What did Mommy look like?" Maybe this will help me get some clue to who her mother is and what she looks like.

"Brown hair and brown eyes. Like me!"

"Where were you going?"

"We were leaving to get away from the bad people."

"The bad people?"

Cassidee nodded her head. "Mmhm, the bad people, and we had to get away. I always get that dream when I'm away from Mommy."

Was this a dream or was this a bad memory that turned into a recurring nightmare?

"I promise you no bad people are going to get you."

''You promise?" Cassidee held up her baby finger.

I smiled, hooking our fingers together. "Promise."