Chapter 22: The Pretender

A/N: Sorry that it has taken me so long to update! How do you feel about the Pretender? Please comment and vote! It makes me very happy :)

Chapter 22:

                The next several days were painful. The Monster didn't have to go to work so I was stuck in the apartment with him almost all of the time. I didn't speak to him. He tried to get me to speak countless times but I had refused, unable to think of anything to say to him that would not make the beast angry. Unlike before though, the Monster for the most part did what I asked and left me alone. He would cook my meals and he would still force me to sleep beside him but he wouldn't touch me, just lay beside me like a stiff log with his back in my direction. He kept his distance elsewhere as well, hovering in an adjacent room. He left occasionally, always coming back dripping with sweat and breathing heavy. I think he was out running.

Kyrie came and checked on me the day after the fiasco. The Monster was obsessively attentive during the visit so I didn't have much of a chance to actually speak to him.

It was now Sunday afternoon and I was officially so stir crazy that I thought I was going to lose my mind. I wanted out of this apartment. I wanted to see someone other than that damn Monster. I was watching television from the sofa in the living room, sprawled across it, purposely taking up space so that the Monster would have nowhere to sit when he came back with whatever new food he was going to try to shove down me when there was a knock at the door.

Not a doorbell ringing, a knock.

The Monster walked into the room and set down the bowl with a frown on his face. He sniffed the air, looking very much like a dog and then went to the door without any further hesitation.

I listened closely but did not follow, determined to stay away from the Monster.

"Tania, it is good to see you." I heard the monster's voice announce. "and your mate of course."

Ugh. Werewolves.

"Thank you Sean. Are you not going to the meeting?" I heard a feminine voice ask in worry. So that must be Tania.

"I don't feel comfortable leaving my mate alone." The monster told her, making me roll my eyes and scowl. It wasn't like I could go somewhere. The tracking device on my ankle and the swat team of werewolves that would pop out of nowhere and butt tackle me if I tried to leave kinda put a damper on any escape plan.

"Ile told me that she was going to send Kyrie over to keep your mate company during the meeting. Did she not tell you that?" the woman monster asked.

"No she didn't. I guess that would be alright though; let me call her to see." He replied. "Come on in, make yourself at home."

I heard the sounds of footsteps coming down the hall and the door shutting.

I glared at the doorway, preparing myself to be as cold as possible.

The werewolf woman that walked into the room surprised me. I had become used to the monsters all looking predatory, overly healthy and fit. Even though I knew that she was one of them from the way that she was dressed and how she was greeted, she looked like a sick, stressed out human woman. She had dark bags under her lackluster blue eyes and her skin was a staunch white. She was too thin, I could see ribs through her blouse and her cheeks were sunken in like she was anorexic. Her black hair was dull instead of shiny and I could see from where I was sitting that her nails were bitten down to the quick.

What was wrong with her?

The Monster came in behind her and shot me what seemed to be a reassuring smile.