Chapter 9: Dance with the Devil

Chapter 9:

As soon as the door shut behind Kyrie the monster was on me, touching me, hugging me.

I couldn’t move.

I couldn’t fight him off like my whole body wanted too. I was too afraid. I was too numbed by the realization that there was nothing I could do to get away from him in the small cramped room. I closed my eyes and the image of him looking at me, blood running from his fangs filled my mind, making me hold in a whimper.  Sick bastard.

“I thought I lost you.” he murmured against my cheek as he knelt beside me. “I don’t know what I would do if I lost you, I love you so much.”

Then he pressed his lips to mine.

OH HELL NO!

I jerked away from him, breaking the contact before I could even register what I was doing, knowing that a look of the upmost disgust and horror would be on my face.

“Don’t!” I halfway yelled at him. My hand already lifting toward my face to wipe my mouth but I hesitated just long enough to hear a low growl.

Ah, shit.

I looked at him just to see his eyes darken.

Double shit.

“Are you in pain? Are you ok?” He asked, looking over me his eyes still dark. Damn it all to hell. Just make something up Juniper! If there was any time to pull some bullshitery out of my ass it was now.

“Flesh wounds…you hugging.” I managed to spit out.

This monster had to be at least half stupid because he actually believed what I said, his eye widening as he let go of me with an apologetic expression.

“Sorry, I guess there will be lots of time for that when you are all healed up.” He smiled, showing his pointy teeth to me and making me want to cower away from him on the cot.

Gross. Gross. Gross.

I didn’t want to kiss him! Was he insane? What am I thinking, of course he is freaking insane! What other explanation is there for someone who thinks it is perfectly normal to try to kiss someone who you just tried to kill! I needed him to go away.

Why wasn’t he going away? He usually went away.

“Why aren’t you at work?” I found myself half asking, half barking. I didn’t even know what his job actually was but I wanted him to get the hell to it. The further from me the better. I was too tired of feeling frightened of him, too tired of trembling like a damn coward.

His eyes softened as he looked at me and I flinched when he reached toward my cheek but he touched it anyway unperturbed by my fear.

“You’re hurt. I can’t leave my mate while she is hurt.” He told me, pushing my hair back behind my ear. I clenched my teeth. Couldn’t leave while I was hurt? He had done it before. I wanted him to do it again.

“I’m fine.” I grounded out. “You should go to work.”

He shook his head, black eyes still looking at me all soft and loving and shit.

“Don’t worry about work they’ll understand. You will always be my first priority, always.” He told me still looking at me with that dumbstruck expression.

I wanted to be sick.

I would have been if I had actually eaten anything in the last three days.

“But I’m fine.” I argued, fighting back bile out of fear.

“What kind of mate would I be if I left you here alone after you almost died?” he asked concern in his voice but also something a little darker. Something that alerted me that the monster was not far beneath the surface.