Chapter 45: Part 4: Eyes of Blue Flame

A/N: Two updates within three days of each other? Say WHAT! Without further wait I give you the last part of Chapter 45 and the last view into the mind of the Monster for the time being. Cheers!

Chapter 45: Part 4: Eyes of Blue Flame

Sean:

It did not take long for me to figure out that I was not winning this fight. Even with the monster in total control over our body we were tiring. Our lunges were falling short and our dodges were sluggish while Argos' attacks were swift and precise. As we separated for the third time and retreated to the ritualistic circling of a death match, the inventory of my wounds made my defeat seem ever more likely. We were both bleeding, our dark blood dripping onto the ground from our wounds as we circled each other with hackles raised. My beast had been able to get a few bites into Argos' flesh but they were shallow, and never in the intended location.  My wounds however were deep and well placed, letting thick hot blood to trail out of my body in small rivers instead of drops. My legs were shaking with fatigue, our vision was starting to blur and our breathing was ragged.

In any other fight for any other reason I would have probably already collapsed, but this fight was different. I was losing but I couldn't lose. If I died she died.

Soon after our fight began the pack house guards had begun pouring out of the building, a low growl from Argos had told them not to interfere. Instead the guards formed a tight perimeter around the fight, blocking the growing crowd of awakened wolves from encroaching upon us.

Argos lowered his head, his lips pulling back over his muzzle in a menacing blood soaked grin. He was enjoying this. He was taking his time.

My cousin had always been one to play with his food. He was planning on doing the same to me before he finished me off. He was going to make me suffer as long as possible before he killed me. If he would do this to his own flesh and blood...what torture would he give to Juniper?

The thought made my beast raise hackles and attack once more, colliding with Argos' beast with a sickening crunch and fight for dominance.  He evaded the snap of our jaws and swiped back at me with massive talons. The talons dug into flesh, ripping down our rib cage and separating the hide there like butter. Instead of recoiling in pain like he expected the beast lurched forward, latching into his flank deep enough to make him release a howl of pain. He rolled me off flinging me across the ground with brutal force. My head whirled for just a moment and that moment was long enough to be my end. The deep bite triggered the end of the game Argos had been playing with his meal. He was on top of me faster than I could stand, pinning me down into the earth and snarling victoriously before sinking his fangs into my exposed throat.

This was the end. We had failed. He would kill her.

We couldn't stop him.

The beast whined low in our throat.

No.

"STOP IT!" a voice screamed through the air so loudly that even my clouded mind could hear it.

The voice that pierced the air made Argos' beast freeze on top of us, fangs still imbedded in our neck but the crushing force behind the bite was gone. His body tensed rigidly and he breathed in a deeply into his snout. Whatever he smelled must have made him even more agitated because his teeth sudden pulled out of my flesh, giving my beast just enough room to adjust our position and rip out of his hold completely. We sprung to our feet, ready for his next attack...but none came. 

Argos' beast wasn't even looking at us.

The gigantic black beast's eyes were transfixed on something else. I followed his gaze to the crowd that had formed around us, searching for what had drawn his attention.