Chapter 31

--Cayley's P.O.V--

The two of us stared at our phones as they continuously vibrated. I watched the number of text messages climb and climb. When the vibrating finally stopped, I looked at the number of messages that I had. There were 21.

I shook my head slowly, disbelievingly. How in the world did I get this many texts?

"I'll be right back." Nikki said quietly. I looked up at her as she climbed off her bed, her long hair draped over her face.

"You okay?" I asked as she walked towards her bedroom door.

"Yeah. Just need some fresh air."

"Why don't you just open-" Nikki walked out before I could finish. "the window." I said, staring out the door and into the hallway where she disappeared. I looked down again, returning my attention to the cell phone in my hands. I clicked view.

Cayley... I miss you. Please talk to me. It wasn't what you think.

I promise, nothing happened. Nothing I wanted. Just... let me explain. Please!

You have no idea how much I miss you. We really need to talk. I can't handle this. I'm begging you... please.

I didn't read through all of the messages. I couldn't. It made me sad, and I hated being sad. I was just a naturally happy person. I stared down at the messages. All of the ones I read were pleas from Niall. Memories of the two of us flooded through my head.

Niall wrapped his arm around me when I sat down on the couch next to him. He pulled me close. I smiled, looking over at Nikki and Harry asleep on the couch.

"You know you're beautiful, right?" Niall whispered in my ear. I smiled up at him.

"I do now." I said.

The next memory pushed the other one away.

I laughed, watching Niall scarf down piece after piece of chicken.

"What?" He asked. I laughed again, and shook my head. "Do you have a problem? Are you after my chicken?"

"Nope." I said, ripping a piece of my chicken off with my fork.

"Are you gonna eat that?" Niall asked, pointing at my chicken, staring down at it hungrily.

"Yes." I said, playfully batting his hand away. "Who's after who's chicken?"

I remembered everything. From the day we met them on the sidewalk, the day of their concert, to when they pulled us up on stage, and saving us afterwards when the mob of fans came after us. To the first morning I woke up in Niall's apartment. To the double date we went on with Nikki and Harry. The way he asked me to be his girl friend. Our very first date.

And the feel of his lips on mine.

I was sad, because those were the memories I wanted to keep. That's how I wanted to remember Niall. I just wanted to go back, and change something, anything, that would let me be with him.

I wasn't going to focus on it. No matter how much it hurt, and no matter how much I was confused about why he would do that, I had to let it go. I needed to move on. I heard a noise, and looked up to see Nikki's mom standing in the doorway, looking around Nikki's room.

"Cayley, darling? Where's Nik?" She asked me. I shrugged.

"I don't know. But, I'll go find her." I climbed to my feet.

"When you find her, tell her I went to work, will you?"

"Alright." I walked through Nikki's house, and out the front door. I didn't know where she'd be. I started walking. I walked for what seemed like forever, but was probably only about 20 minutes. I had made my way into town.