Chapter 4

"Do we have to take Jayce's truck?" Cayley whined as she looked at the mess. "I mean, are you trying to kill me?" She asked as she moved a smelly McDonalds bag to the back seat.

"His truck usually isn't like this." I stated. "Besides what else would we drive?"

"We could walk. Or.. ride the bus." She said hopefully.

"Takes too long to walk. And I don't like buses."

"I can call my mom!" She shrieked. I flinched and rubbed my ear.

"Cayley. Just get. In. The truck." I said slowly.

"I'm sure she wouldn't mind taking us."

"Cayley."

"But-"

"Now!" She sighed. Slowly, she climbed in and shut the door.

"Do you even know how to drive this thing?" Cayley asked. Her voice was shaky. She put her seat belt on, and clung to it for dear life. Her eyes were tightly squeezed shut. I laughed.

"You do realize we aren't moving yet, right? I haven't even started it yet." One eye opened, and her grip relaxed.

"Really?" I just looked at her with my eyebrows raised. "Hey! Don't change the subject! Stop avoiding the question! Do you know how to drive this?"

"How do you think I got home?" I said as I started the truck. Her hands flew to the seat belt once again. I chuckled, and then looked over my shoulder to back out of the driveway.

After a few minutes of riding in silence, Cayley began to relax. She was beginning to trust me behind the wheel. And once she realized I could indeed drive, her eyes opened.

"So, why are we going to the phone store? You have a cell phone." I hadn't told her why we were going to the phone store. What with the anger I felt towards my brother, and my hurry to get out the door before he got back, I forgot.

"No. I had a phone." I said emphasizing the word 'had.' "That's past tense."

"Had?"

"Had."

"How come you don't have one anymore?" Cayley asked.

"My doofus of a brother. I don't know what he did to it. Looks like pixie dust." She just looked at my like 'Oh my lord. Pixie dust?' "Yeah, I don't know either."

"How exactly are you paying?" I know she was thinking of the shoes.

"I took Jayce's 'secret' stash. So, now he's broke, I'll have a new phone, and money to spend when we go to the concert!" I grinned widely at her.

"Oh wow. You realize he's gonna be ticked right? And I do mean ticked." She emphasized the word ticked.

"Yeah. I know. And I don't care. We'll be gone by the time he gets home tonight. We'll be on our way to the concert! This could not have come at a better time! With school just ending? Man, It's gonna be great! And, our parents can come visit us at the hotel is they really must." From the corner of my eye, I noticed Cayley freeze. "What?" I asked.

"I guess I forgot to tell you then, didn't I?" She asked.

"Tell me what?"

"The concert isn't all that close to home, really. Our parents wouldn't exactly have... quick access... to us." I was getting sort of worried now.

"Okay, so how far is it? Hawaii?"

"No. Farther away."

"Kentucky? Rhode Island?"