After the Sorting

Matt's POV

Zander met my eye. His face was a mix of shock and defiance.

I looked down at my plate guiltily.

The lady rolled up her parchment and looked over the crowd of students.

"My name is McGonagall. I am your headmaster. For all the first years welcome to Hogwarts and for the rest of you welcome back. I'm sure all of you are hungry so let the feast begin."

She waved her hands and piles of food appeared on our tables and everyone began to eat. I stared at the table full of food, still adjusting to the sight of plain and obvious magic

"What's your blood status?" Someone asked me. Their mouth full of what looked like roast beef

"Um, muggle-born," I said uncertainty

"We saw you talking to that Slytherin. How'd he get his scars?" Someone asked.

  I shrugged and said "Well, I didn't know he'd be sorted into Slytherin," I didn't want to be branded as a Slytherin lover.  

Quinn frowned at me. "Are you ashamed you're friends with Zander or something?"

"Never mind. Let's talk about something else," the sixteen-year-old girl said.

So we did for the rest of the feast until we followed our Prefects up to our common room.

Millie's Pov

I was loving being in my house already.

During dinner, we joked and laughed. I couldn't have been sorted into a better house.

After dinner, we were told to follow our Prefects (a boy named Ned Heyna and a girl named Jenna Boyce) to our common room.

We walked down to the basement were a Prefect showed us how if we tapped the barrel two from the bottom in the second row to the tune of Helga Hufflepuff then the lid would swing open allowing us entrance.

When we all entered one of who looked like a third year called:

"New house members! This calls for a celebration! Ned, you take a couple of the first years and Jack to the kitchen to get some food and butterbeers for a celebration. Don't forget to get cookies."

"Wait! We have too assign dorms and get everyone to bed!" Jenna called above the ruckus.

"Aw, come on," Ned said "Can't you do that while we go get the food? And bed can wait." Jenna shook her head so Ned continued. "Jenna, cookies."

Jenna bit her lip. "Oh, alright. But Ned and the first years need to stay here with me. Don't forget to get me chocolate chip cookies."

Zander's POV

The meal was fine and I had never related to so many people on such a high level.

After we all were finished we were told to follow our Prefects to our common rooms.

As we walked down to the cellar someone beside me said "Hey."

I looked up in surprise to see a black haired boy coming at me.

"Hi."

"My name is Sydney. Sydney Mave. Who are you?"

"Zander Whitehurst."

"Where did you get your scars?"

"Why is your hair so black."

He smirked. "Nice one."

I gave him a crooked smile.

"What's your blood status?" He inquired.

I sucked on my cheek for a second before answering.

"Half-blood. You?"

"Pure-blood. It's a surprise how few there are nowadays."

"Is it?"

We reached the cellar and Ashe walked up to one of the walls and said "Cunning".

The wall swung open allowing us access.

We were quickly shown our dorms and told the rules before going to bed.

My roommates were Sydney Mave, Coroy Gale, Tanale Baubs, and Jax Driskel.

"Will they be my only friends for the rest of my time here at Hogwarts?" I wondered as I fell asleep.