Zander's Scars

A/n: I'ma describe Zander's scars. His ear is disfigured (that's why he grows his hair out), there are scratch marks made from a bottle being smashed on his head, a large jagged scar outlines his chin, on his left cheek, one crosses over his nose, another comes down his right cheek, and others on the rest of his body. Btw, just in case ya'll weren't clear Millie's eyes are as pale as the huskie's in the picture.

Mille's POV

I slipped towards Zander as he sat by the lake, alone.

It stunned me, what he had said.

Abused? By whom? Why?

I had so many questions but as I sat beside him I decided that I'd just let him explain if he wanted. Since I knew it was rude to pry, he was really conservative, and I had to respect that.

It was Halloween afternoon and the Headmistress had declared it a day off.

"It was my step-father," Zander said, sensing my curiosity.

"W-why did he do it?" I asked tentatively. I didn't want to make eye contact. Instead, I opted that I stare at my feet.

"He would get drunk," He deadpanned again.

I looked at him through the corner of my eye.

"Is that why you refuse to drink Butterbeer?"

He shrugged.

"But it's not even intoxicating and it doesn't actually have any beer in it."

"Don't wanna chance it. Besides if someone told my family I drank Butterbeer then they get really mad and won't even listen to my explanation."

"Oh."

We were silent for a few seconds.

"He wasn't all that bad in the beginning," Zander explained. "See, my mother married when she was nineteen and had my older sister Hannah. Then her first husband died and about four years later she married my father and had me, then he died a few months after I was born so she was forced to marry again. It was happy at first, they had two little girls together then he lost his job and turned to alcohol. It was awful... But at least I got two little sisters from it."

"You really love your little sisters, don't you?"

He nodded.

"With experiences where you have to survive together, you tend to grow closer."

I stared at the ground for a few minutes. Thinking very carefully about what to say next. Deciding on something I took a deep breath

"Um, Z. I wanted to tell you something. Do you know what an-"

"Attack!"

Someone tackled Zander and by accident, they both tumbled into the lake.

Their heads broke the surface and they gasped for air.

"Matt!" Zander scolded before his head went under again.

When he came up again panic showed his face. He went under. By this time I had stood up and looked worried. "Matt! Help him!"

Matt jolted at my voice, wrapped his arm around Zander, and swam towards the bank.

"Let go! I'm fine!" Zander gasped. Shaking his head to clear out his ears full of water

Matt did let go and Zander's head once again went under. Matt grabbed his arm and helped him reach the bank.

"Can't you swim?" Matt asked Zander as he and I squeezed out his robes.

"No. I never had time," Z snapped then ripped the wet robe out of my hands, and marched back into the school.

"Gee, I didn't mean to make him mad," Matt said. I shook my head.

"Well ya did," Luke said, stepping from behind a tree "And I told you he would. You and Lu owe me a pound each."

"Of course, he was mad. I nearly drowned him!" Matt protested.

"We made a deal, brother," Luke held out his hand.

Splash!

Luke became covered in slime. Lucy laughed from a broom above Luke's head.

"Gotcha! Told ya I'd prank you before the week was over! You owe me five pounds!"

"Four!" Luke said as he scraped the slime off his head "Zander lost his temper."

"'Cause I soaked him!" Matt put in.

"He wouldn't have lost his temper if he hadn't been pushed into the lake," I added, slightly mad at how these schoolmates were behaving. Seriously, bets?! "He's never taken swimming lessons so he doesn't know how. I think that's kinda embarrassing."

"Agreed," Lucy said, "Let's redo the bet."

"But that's not fair!" Luke whined.

"It is fair," Matt argued.

I wandered away to find Zander and explain.

And tell him my secret. Since he had confided in me, I feel obligated to return the favor.

A/n: Which one do you like better?

Old cover:

New cover

[E/N

I like the new one x3]