Chapter 41: Everything at once (Joey)

CHAPTER 41

(JOEY'S POV)

It felt like everything had happened within a second. I saw Meghan collapse on the floor as Lizzie got lifted into the sky. The tug of regret, guilt and grief ripped at my soul and brought me down to my knees beside Meghan. He head on my chest and my arms cradling her in my heart. I would never let go. I whispered calming words into her ear as I tried to steady her breathing. "Im sorry I made this hard for you Meghan, I know she was a close friend but we knew it woud happen eventually" I was going to carry on but Meghan raised a finger to my lips and just simply said "You made it harder on yourself Joey, becase now, we have to win this, for Lizzie" I had no words I just held her to my heart and made the most of this time. I had to keep an eye out for Yammy but I knew she wouldnt think of trying to kill us... Would she??? 

When Meghan was stable enough I stood her up letting her rest her weight on my shouder, we made our way to cover. We needed to get Meghan over Lizzie's death quickly so that she could be on her best alert for the rest of the games. No matter what happened, we needed these games to end. The night was quiet up until the point that my worst nightmaes returned. The low growl of a night preditor shook the leaves on the bsshes that surrounded us. I felt Megans grasp on my arm tighten as I slowly rose to my feet, she followed and we edged out way out of the bushes. " Its the same beast that attacked Yammy" I told Meghan and I could tell she had picked up the worried tone in my voice because a panick stricken look swum across her face. We stayed glued to the spot hoping that the creatur wouldnt find us and it would move on. Without warning the high pitched cries of the creature bellowed out through the forest and it came crashing into the area that me and Meghan were crouching in. A familar figure came riding in on the creatres back with their knife bried deeply into its flesh. Yammy looked us in the eye but then her attention was stolen by the two other mutts that came sprinting to the clearing. Yammy turned back to us and yelled " Run!". Meghan abided and sprinted into the trees but I waited until Yammy was in front of me. By this time the mutts were close on our heals, Snapping at the leaves and mud that was upturned by our feet. I felt the warm breath on my ankles as they panted. We ran to the only place we knew our way back to. The cornucopia. This was it. This was the finale. Two of us would die. The question was one that only god could answer.... who??