Chapter 13: The interview with Caesar (Joey)

CHAPTER 13

(JOEY'S POV)

I was queuing up for the interview with Caesar. There were butterflies flying in my stomach but I had gotten used to that feeling since being in the games. Meghan was lined up in front of me telling me about Annie, the tribute from 2, how she thought she had no hope. I was interested about the idea of the rebellion. "Joey, we need to show them we are serious about what we believe, this is a fight for our lives" Meghan said as she walked out onto the stage only looking back at me once to make sure I had heard her. I had to plan out how I was going to show them that I meant what I said. However I also had to make them like me so that if the games did go on then I could get enough sponsors to keep me alive. Yes I could fling a few knives but that wasn't going to help me find water or treat an infection. II tried to conceal my anger when I walked onto the stage by smiling and waving. After all some of these people may be my subscribers. And they were the ones that paid for me to eat and have somewhere to live. "So Joey" Caesar began sitting down in front of the crowd. I followed him. "How do you feel about being in the capitol?" He asked. I searched my mind for a non aggressive comment but I couldn’t find one so I turned it into sarcasm. "Well its nice but I won’t be here long enough to enjoy it as you know I’m going to fight to my death in a bloody arena" I said giving him a grin. Caesar laughed which caused the audience to as well. “So how is the capitol different from back home" I leant in closer " You know what I haven't had time to compare them yet as I have been a bit busy thinking about my inevitable death so I'll let you know if I see you again" I said and Caesar patted my back and said "That's IF you see me again!!" He said and the whole crowd erupted into laughter. They were laughing at the uncertainty of my death. I felt angrier than I ever had before but I contained it. "Joey last question" Caesar said. I was filled with relief but didn't show it. “You and Meghan seemed heartbroken at the reaping, why was that?" I knew this was the question that would make me show emotion. I took a deep breath and told him " Because she is my best friend and now my girlfriend, it took the games to realise our feeling for each other but it seems as it is too late to even talk to her anymore, the games tore us apart, and I am not ok with that" I said back to him and then walked off the stage...