Chapter 7: The prep team takes action (Meghan)

CHAPTER 7

(MEGHAN'S POV)

When we got to the capitol I wouldn’t let go of Joeys hand. He knew I was nervous so he would give me little squeezes occasionally. The crowd loved us when we got off the train. Some of them were subscribers but some of them just there to get a glimpse of this year’s tributes from district 6 before anyone else. They cheered so loud and reached for us. I felt like we were celebrities but we weren’t. Maybe we were in the capitol but back home we were just another poor pair of children who were sent to the arena. I hoped we were more than that to our friends. That reminded me. I reached for my YouTube pin that Kalel gave me. "Joey what does this mean?" I asked him pointing to the badge on my jacket. Joey looked at it and smiled. It’s a gift from Kalel, It basically means...Rebel... and keep each other safe. So we are going to do all we can to get us both out of the arena" He tightened his grip and we walked through the doors to the training centre. "Right guys so the tribute parade is tonight and we want you two looking your absolute best for your subscribers so your prep teams are here to transform you into something beautiful." I looked up at Joey and he laughed in my face. "You look so excited" He said mimicking my face. I punched him gently in the stomach. I didn't want to leave Joey when the prep team got to us but I had to. There were rows of tributes on hard metal tables with prep teams gathered around them when I got there. I was lead to a spare one and they got to work. It was a painful process. The brutal ripping sound of the hair from my skin and the acid wash they poured over me. I felt like a puppet and they were children dressing me up. They plucked my eyebrows and sorted out my finger nails before they handed me over to Cinna. Cinna was...real almost..Compared to everyone else in the capitol. There was hardly any makeup on his face and his voice was understanding. “You are very unfortunate to be put in the games with your best friend" he said helping me sit up on the table. " At least you are fortunate enough to not get put in with your brother like the poor souls from district 4" he said looking me in the eye. I nodded and said “Yes Effie told us about them. It is so horrible, why does the capitol have to do this?" I asked them, clenching my fists and shaking them in the air. Cinna just shrugged his shoulders and gave me a look of pity. I had received a lot of them so far in my participation in the games. I was not a stray puppy and I had to show people that. “Right, as you know each we dress the tributes related to what their district is about " Cinna said taking my hands. " Yep we are daily vlogging" I said " Yes but I don't want to do that, I want to show the other side of what you do, I want to show them the effort you go through so that they can watch your lives. If you think about it, they are kind of watching you, watching your lives every day, like the jabberjays, listening, stealing information." I nodded trying to process this all. He pulled out a beautiful dress covered in black feathers that reflected the light. I held my breath and he smiled at me...