Chapter 40: Harder on yourself (Meghan)

CHAPTER 40

(MEGHAN'S POV)

I saw the shock in Joey's eyes as I told him about Annie. I wanted to comfort hi and tell him that everything was going to be alright, but at the same time I wanted to shout and scream at the top of my voice to release the anger that was built up inside me. I didnt do either of those things I just ignored him for the duration of trying to escape the cornucopia. I fet the guilt tug at me as I felt the sense of regret orbiting Joey. I could do nothing mut try to find the opening that Lizzie was lay in. I felt the beats of my heart rise as I realised the danger that we were in and the reality of it al hit me. We were going to die or at least one of us was going to die. We were going to be seperated. I tried to shake it out of my head but I fet my mind going fuzzy and my feet refusing to walk underneath me. The sound of the cannon made my feel dizzy and my legs collapse. I fell to the floor but the thought at the back of my mind that Lizzie was in danger. I dragged myself through the mud closer to where Lizzie was being hoisted into the air by a metal claw powered by the dreaded hovercraft. I heard Joey calling my name from behind and as I realised the effort I went through to save Lizzie was for nothing I let myself lie in the mud and as I looked up at her lifeless body in the sky I thought about her and Joel being reunited. I knew she was dying ever since she fell into my arms I just didnt want to accept her fate. I fet my mind going blank. The last thing I felt was Joey's warm arms drawing me closer to his body as he knelt next to me. The last thing I heard was him gently crying my name into the air I breathed. I wasnt dying.... I was grieving....