chapter 38: A sense of realization (Meghan)

CHAPTER 38

(MEGHAN'S POV)

I had to admit that I was nervous. Maybe I was underestimating this whole feast. I had seen other tributes do it in past years, I had even seen some of my friends do it and not all of the made it out alive. I knew it would be hard and what made it worse was that I coudnt see behind the cornucopia from where I was running from which meant anyone could be round there waiting to strike. I flet my heart beating in my chest but I took it as adrenaline that would help me through the feast. My strategy was get in, get it, get out.

As soon as Joey had laid Lizzie on the soft grass he held my tightly in his arms. "Whatever happens Joey, even if you hear the cannon, you have to stay with Lizzie ok?" I told him, looking into his deep blue eyes with a look of sterness that I hope he recieved. All he did was nod sheepishly, I knew he wasnt happy but he was going to have to deal with it. Taking a deap breath, I rested an arrow on my bow and got my fingers in position. Calming my self I readied myself to sprint and without realizing I was, towards the bags. I got there with no interuptions and without seeing any other tribute. As I approched the other side of the cornucopia I felt a small body launch itself at me. We hurted to the floor and I saw a shining blade centimeters from my cheeks. I couldnt see who the tribute was as the sun obscured my veiw. I rolled over but the other tribute pinned my head to the grass with my hair. Her head blocked the rays from the sun and all at once I knew who it was. Annie. I tried calling over her sobs but I was sure she couldnt hear me. "Annie its me please just listen" I called out and all of a sudden it was silent. Annie looked down and I saw a familiar look of recognisation sweep across her face and then  look of pure shock as she realised it was me "Meghan?? I thought you had died!" She said. I tried to calm her with a smile but this didnt stop her from suddenly raisy the sharp blade she cradled in her hand and Peircing it into the soft flesh. A few agonising minutes later the cannon signalled the end.