Chapter 17: Realizing our potential (Joey)

CHAPTER 17

(JOEY'S POV)

We sat in silence. Meghan was too worked up and distressed to even consider doing anything else but sit with her knees to her chest and her head in her hands. I rubbed her back. She was afraid that she had ruined her chances of ever getting any sponsors. I tried to convince her that it wouldn’t and that she would still get an OK score. After all, she did get it in the centre of the target, they just weren’t looking. Effie was pacing up and down. She was upset. "All I wanted to do was try and get one of you out of that arena alive" she muttered under her breath. I heard the opening and closing of the door and Haymitch’s heavy tred on the tiled floor. He walked in with a massive smile on his face but it turned to a look of confusion when he saw Meghan. I nudged her and she looked up. "What’s up” Haymitch said, slumping himself down on the chair opposite. “I think what you did was genius" he said. Meghan looked as confused as he did. "Why? You think ruining my chances of getting people to like me was genius?" Meghan replied. Haymitch just laughed and picked up the remote to the TV. I had been staring at the blank screen for 10 minutes. Haymitch turned it to the Live YouTube Games coverage. I couldn’t help but hold my breath as the title scene began. I knew it had gone ok in the assessment so I should get a decent score but I couldn’t help doubting that me throwing a few knives was enough to get a higher score. I guess I would just have to wait. Caesars recognisable face popped onto the screen and his very distinctive laugh echoed off the walls in the living room. Haymitch handed me a piece of paper to keep note of what score all the tributes got for when we chose possible allies. I picked up a pen from the table and made note.

Gaming- Lizzie: 9/12 Joel: 9/12

Collab- Annie: 7/12 Sawyer: 10/12

Humour- Dan: 11 /12 Yammy: 8/12

Beauty- Zoe: 7/12 Joe: 8/12

Cover singers- Colleen: 6/12 Bart: 7/12

When it got to our district I dropped the pencil. My mouth hung open in shock and Meghan turned to me. Effie screamed and lifted Meghan off her feet. Haymitch took my hand and pulled me into a hug. He slapped my back and congratulated me, this wasn’t Haymitch behaviour but I wasn’t going to say it. I was so relieved and knew that we had a good chance now. It was weird. When I was growing up and watching all the tributes fight in the arena, I thought I would never be as good as them, as brave as them, as skilled as them. But there I was, stood next to my mentor and fellow tribute. I was threatening to start a rebellion against the capitols forces. You had to pretty brave to argue against President Snow's commands. I breathed out and Meghan launched herself at me. I felt in my place in Meghan’s arms. “That’s step one completed" I whispered to her and she giggled. I picked up the pencil I had dropped on the floor and noted down our scores.

Daily Vlogging- Meghan: 12/12 Joey: 12/12