Chapter 21: Just run ( Joey)

CHAPTER 21

(JOEY'S POV)

I look behind me incase I didnt like what I saw. I heard two cannons go off and that was it. Only two. That meant there were 9 more tributes that wanted to kill me and 1 that would eventually have to. I ran through the trees that snagged on my jacket. The sleeves offered bo protection to my hands that pushed their way through the brambles that encased the cornucopia. The blood smeared on my hands as I pushed my way through the leaves that lay before me. The wind took my quif by surprise and flattened it against my head. No protection I was stumbling through the forest lost. I realised how vulnerable I was. Alone and weak. I just kept running for that was all I could do. I couldnt help feeling that I had been running from reality my whole life and I just wanted to turn around and face the truth. But I knew that the games, were not the truth. Therefore I was not going to turn round for them and let them defeat me. I kept running as far as my legs could take me. Away from the stress, away from everything that bothered me. I knew I couldnt run forever. I tripped and fell into an alcove in the dirt. I ducked for concealment whilst I regained my breath and studied the ground for anytraces of water. The brown crusty leaves were dry and shrivelled up and the dirt fell in particles from my hand. No where near. Water was the first thing I needed and the sun was at the highest point in the sky. I felt the sweat beads running down my temple. I ran my fingers through my hair and I stood up. I clibed from the ditch and listend for signs of other tributes. I needed to rest and steady my breathing. My heart was beating at a increasingly fast rate. I collapsed by a tree and leat my head against the bark. It dug into my scalp but I was too busy focusing on calming down my struggked breaths to notice. The snap of a twig made me snap my head arond in alert to be greeted by the crossbow of Dan. Fully loaded and ready to shoot....