Chapter 19

"Joel, that's not possible! I was looking forward to you going to school with us again!", I say really upset because of what I just heard. I look at Joel, hoping that he's just kidding. "I missed so much, seriously. I don't like it either but it only makes sense that I get a home teacher." I breathe in deeply. I know he's right but I hate it. "But...", I start without knowing how to end the sentence. He smiles and takes my hand. "It doesn't matter, right? We'll see eachother outside school." "I know ... but I hate that we won't be going to school together." "I hate that too." "By the way, Anna wanted to let you know that she'll visit you tomorrow, she's studying today." "Luckily I won't have to write exams." I laugh. "So ... tell me about Alex. How is it going?" "Do you really care?" "Yeah, why not?" "I mean ... you're the one in the hospital, should we not talk about you?" "I told you that I want to be treated like before. I want everything to be back to normal, you know." "Alright."

After Alex and I went to see the movie the other day, he told me that he has been doing a lot of stuff with the band lately. He was actually afraid that I'd not wanna see him again so he didn't want to annoy me and make a fool out of himself by calling me. And I realise that it was exactly the other way around also so I explained it to him. Because I studyied for the last few days now, Alex took me to eat pizza with him today. As he drops me off at home, he says: "So ... me and the guys are going to Baltimore next week. And I know you'll have school break then so maybe you'd like to come with us ... because I wanted to spend time with you but that's only possible when you come with us next week." I can't believe it. I blink fastly a few times. My jaw is down, I look at him. He seems to mean it. "Seriously? To your family and everything?" "Yes ... if you like, I mean. I really don't want to rush you into anything so you don't need to come if you'd feel uncomfortable." "I actually thought we could see eachother next week." "I hoped for that too after we set things straight the other day. So ... what do you think?" I pretend like I think about it. Of course it would be a little weird to meet his familiy but it also means a lot to me that he's even asking. It actually is pretty sweet and makes my heart beat faster as I think about it. He looks at me with this face, waiting for my decision. "Are you really sure about that?", I ask him. "Yes!" "Okay..." "You'll come?" A smile brightens up his face and he looks so happy. He hugs me tightly and I smile as I breathe in his stunning smell. "It means a lot to me", he says. "Same here", I reply. Feeling his hand lying on my back and him holding me close makes me feel so safe and happy.

I finally told my parents I'm with Alex and now before we drive to Baltimore they want to meet him. Of course I understand that but I'm afraid that they will say something that'll embarrass me so they chose to only ask him questions and not tell him anything about me. Just a few so they approve that I go and spend my holidays with him. I already packed my stuff and put it next to the door so I can escape as fast as possible. I'm just upstairs getting ready, then I hear the door. I run downstairs so Alex doesn't have to handle my parents alone. Actually only my mum's home but my dad could get here any second. That's why I want to leave as quickly as possible so Alex only has to deal with my mum and not with both of my parents. She's right behind me as I open the door. Alex looks beautiful, his hair is styled perfectly again and he's wearing a white button-down shirt with red skinnies. "Hi, Alex. Nice to officially meet you", my mum says and I wave Alex in. "It's nice to meet you too", he says politely and they shake hands. She smiles. I hope she's not gonna make him sit with her but of course. I know my mum. She will find out all about him, that's the strict intention I can see in her face. She's the master at it. "Come and sit for a second", she says as Alex follows her to the living room. They sit on the couch. I keep standing so they feel uncomfortable and we can leave soon. I risk a look outside and see the others are waiting in the car. Yes, Alex can't make it that long knowing he's keeping them up waiting. But immediately Alex breaks my intention of leaving fastly by gently pulling me on his lap. No, don't relax, I want to leave, dammit! "So ... you play in a band, right?", my mum asks him. I recognize that she says "a" band and not "the" band because ATL has been all I've ever talked about. Politely Alex nods his head. "Yeah, it's great", he says with a nice smile. My mum smiles too. "Is there even time for a private life?" Obviously, mum. Otherwise he wouldn't be here. "We are not that big that paparazzi follow us so we can still have time without cameras around." "Right, that is good because you don't want to end up like Britney Spears." "Oh, definitely not!", Alex laughs but I know that he secretly is a fan. Yes, I know that from interviews but I keep that to myself. "So ... you're taking Sarah to see your family?" "That's right, me and my band actually all go together because we all grew up in Baltimore, met and formed the band there." "That's pretty good, you have something that keeps you down to earth." "Exactly. But to be completely honest here, Sarah also keeps me grounded." My mum smiles at that compliment he made me. I feel so lucky to have heard that. He pulls me a little closer without my mum noticing. Oh, he smells so nice. "Well ... I hate to say it but I think we have to go, the others are waiting outside." Yes, finally! "I don't want to bore you or keep you up so long." Alex goes forward to the door as my mum hugs me tightly. "Have a great time, sweetie. Take care", she says and kisses my cheek. "Yes, thank you, mum. For not embarrassing me." She laughs. "I know you like him a lot. And I'm happy you stopped fangirling." I laugh too. Then I follow Alex to the door, wave at my mum and then Alex takes my suitcase. I walk out the door with him and see the two cars. "We're driving with Zack's and Matt's cars", Alex explains. "Oh, alright." "Come on." He stuffs my suitcase in the front car and then gets on the backseat. I sit next to him and put my seat belt on. Zack is sitting in front with Matt next to him. "Hi", he says and Zack just smiles. "You're not letting Jack drive the other car, right?", I ask and look back. "Oh, she has seen Straight to DVD!", Zack says. Matt laughs. "You saw it?", Alex asks and looks at me. I nod. Only like a thousand times. "I don't remember who said we didn't let Jack drive..." "Why don't you let him drive?" "He's a terrible driver, no idea how he passed the test to get his license. His style of driving is scary", Alex explains and lies his arm around me. I lie down my head on his shoulder as both of the cars start. "You're amazing, thanks for coming with us", Alex whispers into my ear. I am so lucky that this is happening.