Chapter 28

She was quiet the whole way to the house. And as the other cop brought Alex' car, she's still quiet and doesn't even show any facial expressions. She gives us a wave that means Alex needs to come into the house with us. And as soon as the door's closed, she explodes. "What the hell where you thinking? How dare you do that? It's dangerous! I don't even know what to say! How could you? I mean, don't you think?! What is this? How can you get in trouble like that? I don't believe it! I thought you were reliable and now you bring my daughter in such danger! I don't even know how I couldn't see that before! I should've known that you about get her and yourself in so much trouble!" She takes a deep breath. She's clearly talking to Alex but as soon as I want to defend him, she goes on. "Even worse is that I told myself that you can take care of her and you're not just some guy who doesn't even care about her and her safety and moreover...-" "Mum! Please, listen to me! As soon as we got to the station Alex wanted the policeman to drive me home so I wouldn't have to spend the night in a cell and...-" "I don't care! Can you imagine how I felt and how worried I was when you called me? And you! How can you just get drunk and drive? That's crazy and then you do it when you're with her! What kind of behaviour is that? I can't believe it, oh my god!" She looks at him with that angry look on her face that always scares the shit out of me. "Please, let me explain...", Alex says shyly. "Let's hear it", she says but I get the feeling she's not gonna take him seriously. "First of all: I'm not drunk. And I really didn't mean to upset you in any kind of way. We just drank some champagne and I was still driving safe." "He's right, mum." He smiles at you thankfully. "I'll come to you later, be quiet", my mum says to me. "Please, don't blame her in any way, she even asked me if I could drive and told the officer it was her who drank alcohol and not me! Thanks for that by the way, baby. Even though I could drive though ... it wasn't right from me to do it. You should know that ... that I would never get her in any danger or trouble on purpose. That was a one-time thing, I swear! It's all my fault, she deserves an apology from me and not some punishment because she didn't do anything wrong! You can blame me for everything, I am so sorry and I know you'll probably hate me right now and you'll not want me to see her ever again but I'm begging you to give me a second change, that will not happen again, I promise! Nothing like that will ever happen again! And I'll pay you back the fine of course! Thank you so much for getting us even though I know you only did it because of her and couldn't care les about me but I beg you ... don't forbid me to see her. Please." "Why? Why after all would I let her see you again?", my mum asks. She can't make me leave Alex. I have to see him, I have to be with him. Especially because things are going so good right now. "I mean ... I tolerated everything! I didn't say anything when you distracted her from school, I didn't mind you taking her to your parents! And moreover I didn't say a word when you kept sneaking into her room every single night she was grounded! Why would I now give you a second chance? Please, tell me." "I love her", he says genuinely. "I really love her and I'm sorry for every single thing I did that upset you. But ... you can't expect me to just forget me. It's impossible. She means so much to me, that's why I took her to meet my parents and that's why I couldn't stand it to not see her for a whole week. I couldn't be more sorry for distracting her from school and I will make sure it will not happen again. Please. I love her and I can not even stand the thought of not seeing her anymore. So please give me another chance to make everything different. "I am terribly sorry." I'm so touched by what he just said. It's incredible how hard he's trying and his words are so honest. My mum blinks and looks at him like she can't believe it. "Alright. You seem to mean it." "I've never been more serioous." "Okay." She turns around and goes upstairs into her bedroom. I hear her going to sleep a little later as Alex and I only stand there without any moving in silence. As I hear her turn off the light I turn to Alex. He takes my hand. "Thank you so much. For everything you said. You have no idea how much it means to me. And it takes a lot to make my mum change her opinion." "I am so sorry and I'll find a way to make it up to you. I promise and I can't apologize to you enough. It's not gonna happen again." "It wasn't that bad, don't overreact, Alex. It's alright." "No, it's not. I could've really been drunk and it could have been more dangerous. Especially because it was dark." "Don't worry about it, we're good." "Really?" I nod. "Thank you. You are amazing." Before I can deny it he softly pushes me to the wall behind me and kisses me in the dark. I put my arms around his neck and he lies his hands on my waist. "I love you", I say on his lips. "I love you even more", he says as he lets go of me. He opens the door and steps out. "Hey, Alex?" "Yes?" "Even though we were at a police station and my mum freaked out ... thanks for tonight. The idea on the viewpoint with the picnic and all was incredibly sweet." "I'm glad you liked that", he says and walks back to me again. He takes my face in his hands, leans down and kisses me again, harder this time. Then he walks back to his car and I go inside the house, closing the door after I watched him drive away.

Just as I'm about to go to bed and put my pajamas on, I hear my phone vibrate on my desk. I look at the message from Alex.

We have to talk tomorrow, I have pretty bad news.