Chapter 24 Sophie

SOPHIE: September 16

Everything seems so surreal..

I keep having flashbacks.

I didn't sleep last night.

I can deal with this. How can someone do this to someone else? We were bound and gagged.... I never thought I would call this my life.

I drifted off to sleep sometime around 3 am and just got up and it's noon. We are excused from the work in our classes but are still expected to attend. I really don't know how that works out....

I would love not to take that calc test.. I can't believe Mr. Raggio found us. It's spectacular.

I feel even more troubled than usual. I don't feel like doing anything. I sat in my room staring at the ceiling until 2. It seems nothing is going right in my life. I thought I would get better with time but then this happened and I have to start anew.

What's next? Will I get raped or something? God seems to have a fiery vengeance against me.

I've never been religious in the slightest bit. I figure that God likes to leave us alone. With all of this shit going around, I might as well score some good points with my creator.

I go to the Sunday late mass at the church and sit in the back row emotionless. It's the local catholic church. I went to a catholic school for high school. Everything was mandated but it feels different when I go willingly.

I walk back to the dorm and Annie is in there with Harry. They are just talking but I would prefer to be alone. They smile at me and I just close the door.

__________________________

SOPHIE: Dorm hall 7:45pm

Quiet place? There has to be one in this damn building. Annie and Harry look happy. They seem to have a connection with each other.

"Sophie?" It's Liam's voice I know his accent anywhere. I dont turn around. I just need to get outside or something. Maybe the water...

The elevator door opens and I step in. The doors begin to close but Liam runs up and shoves his arm in.

"Yeah? What do you want?" I push 1 button so I can walk to the marina. I don't have a thick enough coat for nighttime but I don't care enough.

Don't people just realize I need to be left alone?

"Hey. Did you get any of my texts?"

I look down at my phone and see Liam sent me four texts and called once.

"I went out..."

"So you didn't get them?"

"I guess not."

"Sophie I don't think you realize how I want to be here for you. We went through all of this together we can help each other through it."

"Liam. I started all of this by myself I want to finish it alone. I can do this. Don't worry. I'll be happier soon. Just you wait."

That was a lie. I'm not going I get better. I can feel it.

Liam looks taken aback by my response and gets out of the elevator and doesn't dare follow me.

He mumbles something I can't understand and gets back into the elevator and probably plans to get back to his room.

I sit in the park for an hour with my hot chocolate and watch the leaves and people. The season is already beginning to change. Maybe I will too....