Chapter 4: My Love is Like a Star

A month later, at the end of April, my mom brings me with her on a press tour all around the US. I'm only staying with her for a week during spring break, then I have to stay home and go to school while she continues the tour. The tour is continuing until my 12th birthday in a few weeks. 

   This tour is some of the biggest news of 2028 so far and my mom is definitely still just as famous as when I'd been born. There is no way that she could've cancelled. Still, she sure keeps a super close eye on me. I wonder which of these states my dad lives in. Maybe he's still in jail, maybe he moved away and lives in some foreign country, but I guess I'll never know.

   "Jasmine, come here," Mom motions for me to join her, "Look..."

   We are standing on the balcony of the hotel room. Looking down I can see many Lovatics holding up signs and screaming, even as the sky is dark and cloud-filled threatening rain. Mom pulls me close so I am leaning against her, "I love you babygirl. Not even one of these fans could ever replace you. I hope you know I was just trying to protect you. I'm really sorry."

   I sigh as I snuggle up against my mom, hugging her tight, "I know Mom, and I love you more."

   "Well, I love you the mostest," Mom smiles, finishing off our little inside joke.

   The next morning, Mom and I leave for the airport to go to Dallas, the city where she was raised, where her family lives. I am excited; Dallas is my home away from home. On the way to the airport all I can hear is people chanting my mom's name, "Demi! Demi! Demi! We love you! How's your daughter?! When will your new album be released?! Demi!" It is loud and annoying, but I have definitely gotten more used to it over the years. That's what happens when your mom is a famous singer.

   At the airport my mom gets a call from her manager telling her that the Dallas stop was cancelled and we were going straight to New York. The New York crowd was so big that we'd have to spend extra time there and couldn't go to both places during the same press tour. So, Mom and I board a different plane, the one that will take us to New York City. A place so big and scary that even I get scared walking down the street, and I live in LA, so that's saying something.

   Once we arrive in New York City, the pandemonium begins. Screaming way more than anywhere else in the world, something I can't handle. Sure, my mom is famous, but that doesn't mean that I was born without flaws. At 7 or 8 years old, I was diagnosed with social anxiety, meaning that large crowds scare me. When I am in the car I feel safe. Out here, I don't. I grab my mom's hand making sure that I won't get separated from her or lost in the crowds of people chasing her and trying to get her picture. Welcome to my life...