Buying a Kitten

"Who's the wittle cutie? Who's da cutie-pie?" Zayn speaks in an adorable baby voice as he holds the white colored baby kitten up to his face.

You laugh, watching Zayn play with the baby animals in the pet store is one of the cutest things you have ever seen.

"She likes you," you smile, gently petting the kitten's fluffy fur.

Zayn turns to you as he sets the kitten back down on the blanket. "Which one do you like?"

Searching among the litter of kittens you find a black, orange, and white colored baby kitten nestled against your leg, purring softly.

"This one is my favorite," you say, scratching the top of his head.

"But he isn't as playful as the other ones," protests Zayn with a smirk.

Giving your boyfriend a look, you reply, "He has been playing with other kids for a few hours already, he's tired."

Zayn chuckles and his eyes squint as his smile reaches them, "I know, love, I'm just teasing. I like him too."

*

Soon you and Zayn are back at his house, carrying the box that holds the kitten inside.

You gently lift him out of the carton and set him on the floor so he can get a sense and a look at his new surroundings.

The petite meows from the kitten reach your ears as he walks around and you giggle when he immediately finds the bowl of cat food along the wall.

"What should we name him?" Zayn asks as you both watch him contently munching on his food.

"I was thinking Thor?" You suggest.

"Loki sounds better," Zayn replies.

Turning your head to face Zayn, you raise your eyebrows. "Oh really? Thor is so much better."

Zayn smirks, "No, Loki suits him better."

"No, Thor."

"Loki."

"Thor!"

"Loki!"

"Liam's dog is named Loki, so Thor should be his name," you snap, a challenging smile appearing on your face.

Zayn gives up, sighing as he mutters a playful "whatever."

"Thank you," you grin, a triumphant tone in your voice.

*Three Years Later*

You stare into your hands, a few tears falling down your cheeks and splashing onto your arms.

"You okay?" You hear his familiar voice and turn to see Zayn joining you on the rock overlooking the city and the setting sun.

Shrugging your shoulders, you face back to watch the sunset and clasp Zayn's hand in your own when he settles down.

"I just miss him," you whisper in a barely audible voice.

Zayn lets you play with his fingers, knowing that will help you feel better.

He responds in his voice that has become somewhat deeper the past few years, "Me too... Thor was a great cat."

Two days before, Thor had been struck accidentally by a car while coming home one night.

Zayn did not find him until early yesterday morning and you both buried him in a quiet spot in the woods soon after.

You slide yourself into Zayn's side, letting him hug your shoulders as you rest your head against him.

The clouds are now deeper shades of purple, pink, red, and orange against the dark summer blue sky.

"Thanks for being here, Zayn," you sigh, closing your eyes.

He gives you a reassuring squeeze and replies, "I will always be here for you, love, even if you're this upset about a crazy cat like Thor."

After Zayn says this, a small smile slides it's way onto your face as you say, "Thanks again, I love you."

"I love you more," he replies.

Wow, guys, I can't believe that this book has gotten 10k reads! This makes me so happy, you don't even know. I remember when this only had a few hundred xD Wow, thank you all so much! You guys are the reason I keep writing. :) You guys are awesome and the best! 

Thank you! xx