✗Chapter 32: Chaotic Confession✗

"We will be investigating this further. Thank you for your patience and understanding." The policeman sternly recited, the three of them standing at your door.

"Have a nice night!" Lucy added, trying to lighten up the heavy atmosphere.

"You too." Gabby waved at her as she walked towards the police car.

"Thank you for listening to my side of the story." You told the policemen quietly, emotionally exhausted by all the tears and untruths you'd told.

"Ring the local police number if you have any issues or problems. Stay safe girls." The first one responded before striding away.

"Goodnight." The second policeman nodded and then turned around.

"Night." Gabby called after them cautiously, shutting the door a second later.

"You did it! I'm so proud of you (Y/n)." She flung her arms around you and hugged you warmly, a proud smile spread across her face.

"I'm just glad it's over. Reliving those memories...it was like I could see the events unfolding right in front of me again." You shuddered.

"Now you don't have to remember them. You can relax and forget this ever happened." Gabby held your hands whilst she said that, her smile softening.

"Gabby I-" You stopped yourself from telling her the truth; knowing that she'd judge you for all the lies. And keeping Michael a secret.

"What's up? You okay?" She worried over you and you forced yourself to stay calm.

"I just...Yesterday, Officer Hayward told me you and Mom were coming. So where is she? Is my mom alright?" You switched subject uncomfortably - curious about your mother.

"Oh...um...I don't think this is the best time. I'll tell you in the morning. For now, why don't you get some rest?" Gabby gingerly patted your shoulder after she broke the hug, a nervous look written across her face.

"There's something you're not telling me, isn't there?" You accused her anxiously.

"I...I just can't tell you right now...I can't bear to bring more bad news to the table. Just...wait until the morning...please?" She pleaded in a strained voice, her grey eyes shimmering with sorrow.

Why was she acting so grave?
What was going on?

"Sure. But you'd better tell me tomorrow." You gave in with a huff, moving past her.

"I will. Do you need anything else? Or would you prefer to be left alone?" Gabby asked hesitantly.

"I'd prefer to be left alone, Gabs. It's nothing personal, I'm just really tired...that's all." You knew Michael would be itching to return, so you made up another lie - feeling even more guilt than before.

"I understand. Well I'm moving back in tomorrow, so when you're ready just knock and I'll explain everything, 'kay?" Gabby gave you one more hug and you nodded, nestling into her shoulder.

"Okay. G'night Gabby." You spoke in a tired tone, too drained to pretend anymore.

"Night (Y/n). See you tomorrow!" Gabby tried to sound upbeat as she walked towards the door; silence trailing in her wake.

Tears of tiredness pricked at your eyelids, your heart aching after telling all those lies. So much guilt...So much shame...Laurie and Dr. Loomis would be so disgusted with you right now. You clutched your hair in anguish and took choking breaths, the pain making it hard to function. All you wanted to do was curl up and cry. You felt like a true criminal, twisting the truth into your favour and harbouring a very dangerous murderer. What had you done?