✗Chapter 20: Sleepover Strategy✗

"Are you alright, (Y/n)? You look a little flushed." Laurie timidly inquired, watching you sit down in the armchair.

"I'm fine...I just bumped into someone on the sidewalk and they had a go at me for ruining their outfit and dropping their drink. I did apologise, but all they did was swear at me and call me a skank." You explained; a bit huffy.

"Did they have brownish-blondish hair, and a golden clip holding some of it back?" She nervously asked, shy as she bit her lip.

"Now that I think of it...yeah, she did." You replied and let out a tired sigh.

"That's one of my friends. Lynda Van Der Klok. I'm sorry she gave you a hard time." Laurie said sorry on her friend's behalf, feeling bad.

"What was her problem?" You crossed your arms and tried not to get too salty, but you really were irritated by this 'Lynda.'

"She just got cut from the cheerleading team, so she's probably in a mood about it." Laurie awkwardly responded. There was an awkward silence for a few minutes before Gabby cleared her throat, wanting to keep everyone in good spirits.

"Why don't we put a movie on and have something to eat? I don't know about you Laurie, but (Y/n) and I haven't eaten all day." She offered with a warm smile, switching the TV on.

"I could go for some food right now." You agreed at once; your stomach rumbling and making you giggle.

"What movie are we watching?" Laurie questioned curiously.

"Whatever you guys want." Gabby shrugged softly and left the remote on the coffee table whilst she entered the kitchen.

"Up to you." You flashed a kind smile towards the blonde, curling up in the armchair and hugging a cushion.

"You sure? Usually I wait whilst Lynda and Annie fight about what film to watch." She chuckled as she picked up the remote instead.

"I'm sure. What kinda movies you into, Laurie?" You asked casually, your curiosity bubbling over the edge as usual.

"Romantic comedies, drama, romance...that kind of thing. You?" Laurie dreamily answered. Of course she was into that type of stuff, she was just an innocent high-schooler; crushing on boys and hanging with friends.

"Horror, fantasy, animation...I guess romance is good every once in a while." Your answer varied from her, the awkwardness in the room rising.

"Have you seen Mean Girls?" She sent you an excited glance, grinning from ear-to-ear.

"I have. I don't think Gabby has though, so let's put it on." You said in amusement - enjoying her sudden enthusiasm.

"Get in loser, we're going shopping!" Laurie quoted and the two of you laughed, the tension disappearing into thin air.

Gabby came back with a tray of different food; popcorn, Doritos, a few yoghurts, some sandwiches and other delicious treats. The whole night was a blast, the three of you really clicking and becoming friends. Laurie was mostly innocent - apart from her sexual innuendos and suggestive jokes - making it much funnier when you and Gabby subjected her to horror movies.

"This is really creepy~!" She complained whilst the three of you watched Saw, shuddering at the torturous traps and sickening scenes.

"Aww, horror movies are the best kind of movies to watch - especially at sleepovers." Gabby flicked a piece of popcorn towards the schoolgirl and Laurie flicked it back; amazed when the white-haired girl caught it in her mouth.

"Holy shit, how did you do that?" Laurie's own mouth fell open as both you and Gabby laughed.

"Gabby has many talents." You snickered, your friend nodding in agreement.

"She's not wrong." Gabs stuck her tongue out and lolled against the sofa lazily.

After you had all eaten and watched a few more movies, 1am had struck - the exhaustion finally hitting you. And it hit you hard. It was then that you all agreed to sleep; Laurie and you sleeping on the sofa whilst Gabby said she'd take the armchair. It was weird - in less than a day Laurie had become like...like a little sister to you. Huh...strange.

Once Gabby had supplied pillows and blankets, you snuggled underneath the warm fabric and closed your eyes - hoping to get some good rest. You just prayed you wouldn't have another nightmare, one was quite enough. Your consciousness slowly faded as you entered sweet slumber, not really paying attention to your surroundings anymore.

Suddenly something soft cradled your cheek; your sleepy brain registering it as someone's hand. It felt nice...comforting even. Like you wouldn't have any nightmares, or even think negatively at all. The hand moved from cupping your face to stroking your hair, the soothing actions lulling you to sleep almost immediately. The only thing that snapped you out of it was the...heavy breathing...?

W-Who was in the living room with you three-?! With a sharp breath you sat up, your eyes scanning the room for any trespassers. Alas, the room was empty except for you guys. The clock on the wall ticked in the background, silence becoming the main sound whilst car lights occasionally lit up the room. You could've sworn someone was in here with you...

Had you been lucid dreaming? You definitely felt a hand...or at least, it felt very realistic. It couldn't have been Gabby or Laurie, because their skin wasn't as rough as the one that had touched you. So if they hadn't touched you...then who had...? That night you had another particularly creepy dream - the twisted reality not being something you wanted to see.

You dreamt about Michael searching for you, his striking blue-eyes shining with insanity whilst he screamed your name. The very thought made you feel on edge, so much so that you woke up yelling. Gabby gave you a calming hug whilst Laurie rushed off to get a glass of water. It was true that you were under a lot of pressure - what with being hunted down by a killer and trying to survive - but why all the nightmares? How was this fair!?

"Here you go (Y/n), a cold drink always calms me down after something scary." Laurie passed you the glass and patted your back, wanting to help.

"It'll pass. It's only the stress of being pursued by Michael. Dr. Loomis will catch him and this'll all be over soon." Gabby consoled gently.

"I-I...Sure. Actually, I have to go check on my mom, so I'll see you guys later." You took a few gulps of the water and then snatched up your bag, moving towards the door.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" Gabs followed you as she tried to get you to stop.

"Y-Yeah. Just make sure Laurie isn't alone when she walks to school and stuff, 'kay?" You opened be door and hurried outside - not caring that you weren't dressed.

"Of course. But I'm worried about you. Nightmares and lack of sleep are hard enough to deal with, let alone a deranged killer!" She wrapped her arms around you in a tight hug, her hold warm yet worried.

"Like you said, Loomis will catch him." You decided to humour her remark in a tired tone; causing her to raise her eyebrows.

"I know you'll be thinking of what will happen if he doesn't. So...-if he doesn't?" Gabby waited for your answer whilst you broke the hug - shooting her a sad smile.

"If he doesn't...I'll either die or get abducted. I'm not even sure which is worse. See you later Gabby." You said goodbye in a low voice, walking away from her house and returning back to yours.

Something strange caught your attention on the porch steps; the odd thing forcing you to take a closer look. And once you did, you let out a shrill scream. Because it wasn't something normal, like-like a sleeping cat or a plastic bag. It was a dead squirrel, crucified onto some small twigs. Your name was written in its blood across the paved stone, the dead smell causing you to bend over and throw up.

"(Y/n)? What-?" Your mother opened the door and then gasped in terrified confusion; seeing the disturbing image like you had. Tears dripped down your face and splashed onto the ground - mixing with the blood and staining the stone as well. This was seriously fucked up.